Headlight like a goldfish bowl

Is there an easy way to separate glass from body? I have read about the oven method. Is it recommended? Or would it be better to drain and seal around the seam without disassembling?

id be tempted to just take the bulb out of the back & tip the water out, leave it in the airing cupboard overnight & re seal on the outside :)

I had trouble with mine fogging after I opened mine to paint the insides... Found a good cure was to take bulbs out & blast a hairdryer through the main beam hole & re-seal...

Obviously you've got quite a bit more moisture in yours so maybe try that & then leave in airing cupboard or next to radiator overnight as Skinner says & see how it goes. Will also help the sealant dry but don't use too much, I made that mistake first time round, just a small bead will do!

Of course, if you're planning on spraying the inside of your lights at any point in the future, prob best to think about doing it now... Cover both tasks in one go...

BTW, oven method is fine, just take all the rubber covers, bulbs & connectors off... Leave them in oven for a few minutes, they'll be fine so long as it's not on too high, then carefully separate with a flat screwdriver or knife working your way around the edge. Try not to bend or damage the plastic too much though, but a little is fine.

Once separated, try to keep as much if the original glue on the unit as possible as this will help when re-sealing. You will have to cut/clean some off though as it's like stringy cheese when you open it up.

Do what you gotta do inside the light, put the 2 sides back together & pop back in the oven to heat up again. Then press them back together once glue is sift & hold them like that with clamps or tape. Once cooled run a small bead of silicone sealant into the gap all the way around... Don't use too much... Then leave to dry... Jobs a good 'un! :p

Plenty of guides on here, I think DaveyBoy (sure that was his name) did the best one but what I've typed above is the basics if it...

I had that problem :) took the headlight unit out and the rubber light bit cover of. I separated mine using a hair dryer instead of using the oven. Just make sure you dont hold the hair dryer on one spot for to long, dried the inside with a towel, removed any excess old sealant as much as possible. Then re-seald with tiger seal :) was like new :) took about 15 mins and was back on the car straight away

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Back