Headlight has water in it (post accident)

Back in June I was hit on the passenger side front wing about a foot or so behind the headlight, it was repaired by my insurer and the other party admitted liability. As this is my wife's car and I rarely drive it I only recently noticed that the passenger headlight has water in it, about half an inch high.

I've popped the bonnet up and the rubber seal around the bulb was not on correctly leaving a gapping hole for rain water to get in, hopefully this was were the water was getting in and it's not something more serious.

The question though is how do I drain the water that's now inside of of it ?. I see a small metal clip at the top of the headlight that appears to be keeping the glass in place, so if I remove this can I remove the glass or is it sealed on in other ways ?.

I'd buy a Haynes manual, but I get the feeling that it may not go into this much depth ?.

the glass is sealered on FB, and the clips are just extra
i would just drill a hole in the corner near the glass behind the grille :grinning:

I would say you will have to remove the headlight and drain the water out. If it doesn't drain out easily. There is sealant the whole way around the light. If you put the light in an oven and heat it up slowly to a bout 160c then glass will separate from the rest of the headlight then clean off the existing sealant and apply new sealant. I did this to mine and painted the inside of the lights black. Took about 7 mins from cold in my oven. hope this helps. :grinning:

Yeah franks idea should go down quite easy, just alittle hole and your all set,

If you dont want to go through all the hassle, go scrappies, find one and grab it for about 15 quid, and its very easy to refit (Well mine was haha - Facelift)

I had a problem where the lights just kept condensing up so i thought i'd replace the whole thing :)

Back