Headlight fuse blowing, damaged fusible box

Hi all,
My micra has its MOT coming up but worried its suffered a fatal blow.
The passenger headlight stopped working and i found the fuse had not only blown but melted the fusible box around it. Separately, the dimmed lights dont work either but not sure if related. Ive seen suggestions on google to try and find if a cable is earthing somewhere but dont know how to go about that as the cables from the box go into a wrapped pack of wires which disappear into the body so not sure how to follow.

Ive also seen suggestions to wire around the fusible box or wire into the other headlight.

Any thoughts? How can i go about trying to save it prior to MOT?

Thanks
Dave

Hi all,
My micra has its MOT coming up but worried its suffered a fatal blow.
The passenger headlight stopped working and i found the fuse had not only blown but melted the fusible box around it. Separately, the dimmed lights dont work either but not sure if related. Ive seen suggestions on google to try and find if a cable is earthing somewhere but dont know how to go about that as the cables from the box go into a wrapped pack of wires which disappear into the body so not sure how to follow.

Ive also seen suggestions to wire around the fusible box or wire into the other headlight.

Any thoughts? How can i go about trying to save it prior to MOT?

Thanks
Dave
Hi dave, I had exactly the same problem and its due to the connector melting on the back of the bulb this shorts the fuse and melts the positive terminal on the fuse box...

I drilled out the positive and kept a spade connector to the negative and then ran a new fuse from the original (+) wire to the headlight connector.
Then changed both headlight connectors to the ceramic type at most all this will cost £10.
Hope this helps
Tom.

Hi dave, I had exactly the same problem and its due to the connector melting on the back of the bulb this shorts the fuse and melts the positive terminal on the fuse box...

I drilled out the positive and kept a spade connector to the negative and then ran a new fuse from the original (+) wire to the headlight connector.
Then changed both headlight connectors to the ceramic type at most all this will cost £10.
Hope this helps
Tom.
same here :) i used a little brass self tapper to tap into the thicker/tighter, hard to access wire
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/under-bonnet-fuse-box.54463/#post-561666

Back