HAWK engine management (need help please)

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
Hello,
I'm from the UK and (guess it could be Frank2 on here, as he is called frank on the MSC) recommended i ask on here.
i have just baught a Hawk stand alone ecu, loom and softwear.
im a novice when it come to stand alones and mapping. does anyone on here use the hawk system? is there any chance somone could help me find a base map for me to work from (as i believe it came from a turbo micra from here so the map is no good for me)
any help atall would be very much apreciated:D
thanks in advance,
Noddie

here is some pics of what i'v just baught.

Attachments

• 41391.jpg
    41391.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 36

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I believe it was reverb that was running the Hawk ECU. I have no idea how common Hawk ECUs are over in the UK but I'm pretty sure this was one of the few if not the only micra using this ECU.

I'd suggest if you're going to go with aftermarket ECUs that you find a tuner over there and find out what he/she suggests to use as ultimately you're likely to get a better tune if you use what the tuner is comfortable with.

If you really want to stick with it and see what you can do in regards to getting that unit tuned then just call around and see if anyone's willing to give it a go. The map on it may be enough to get the car started, then you can trailer it to a workshop and get it tuned from there.

If you don't mind me asking, since from the look of that for sale thread on the MSC, if you're just doing an N/A tune why not go for something that's tried and true? If you ask me it's just more hassle buying an obscure ECU no one else has used and risk running into issues of being unable to find a tuner that'll touch it.

---dens

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
oh, i was hopeing it would be more popular over your way.

i hear what your saying, but the idea is to use it to learn about mapping and hopefuly do more if not all of the work myself. a base map would very useful i think as somewhere to start from.

i guess i cant PM Reverb as im not a paid member, is that right? do you know what setup he is running by any chance? just because if he doesnt have the base map still, his map may still be better for me than the turbo one on there at the moment.

Thank you very much for the info deNs

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Noddie WROTE:

"

oh, i was hopeing it would be more popular over your way.

i hear what your saying, but the idea is to use it to learn about mapping and hopefuly do more if not all of the work myself. a base map would very useful i think as somewhere to start from.

i guess i cant PM Reverb as im not a paid member, is that right? do you know what setup he is running by any chance? just because if he doesnt have the base map still, his map may still be better for me than the turbo one on there at the moment.

Thank you very much for the info deNs

Haha, paid members? Gosh I hate that system over on the MSC. None of that kinda thing here. The private message system is linked straight to whatever Email account the user has put into their profile settings. So if you're lucky, Reverb still uses the one that he listed in his profile. You can try messaging him through his account:

http://www.micra.com.au/community/member.php?userid=6

You can read about his setup at the bottom of this page as well:

http://www.micra.com.au/community/forced-micras.php

---dens

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
True Frank(2), thank you:D
thanks guys! will get it installed then and if it runs i can adjust it to get it right. i just thought that it wouldnt run at all and i might not be able to get any readings to work with.
i have PM'd reverb.
thanks again guys, will let you know how i get on.
this is a link to my blog on the MSC (not that my car is very exciting at the moment:D)
http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25060
Noddie

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
in the notes it talks about a ford V8, but i was told it came off a micra (maybe the notes just weren't changed?)
will see when i get it all connected. wont be for a while though, hopefuly getting a wideband for christams so will wait till then to install it all.
plenty of reading to do before that anyway:D

still no reply from reverb, so if you see this mate, send me a quite mail if you'v got time ( [email protected] ).
thanks again everyone.
Ed

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
hi guys, just thought i would give you an update.
still no reply from reverb, just sent him another message.
the car is now running on the HAWK, but the timing isnt right, my theory is that the ecu isnt making sense of the timing in signal and is therefor not sparking at the right time, i read somewhere about someone gettting another 'disc' for the dizzy cut with lots of small holes and i wonder if this would work better... can anyone point me in the right direction?
another option is to use the signal setup from the coilpack engine (reluctor style) and see if that works, but thats a lot of effort if it doesnt...
many thanks,
Ed

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
thanks mate! but no real help to me, i have tried all that is suggested in that thread:(
is there any chance that reverb had a blog or anything that im missing? does anyone know how i can get hold of him. im sure he would know the answer:)
thanks again for the help though mate:)

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
does Reverb still use this site? hes not replying to any mail i send him:S
does anyone know if he uses any other forums (moved onto bigger things like?) and what his screen name is?
i desperately want to get hold of his as i guess he would know. also, was he using a coilpack engine by any chance? because they have a different timing sensor if im right..

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
Bugger! i know this is a long shot, but does anyone have his email? or msn? or icq? or whatever you guys use:D i feel like a bit of a stalker now, but it would be really great to ask him some questions because nowhere else seems to have the answers.

CMF_Noddie

» CMF Member
So I'm missing the software again :(
Last time, somebody called Jon was able to email it to me but the email account has now been closed so i am unable to access it again.
I have now sold the ECU and need to supply the software with it.
I have re-emailed Jon but he has not replied so i thought i would try to contact him here:)
Sorry to be a hassle guys!

Back