Engine management light going crazy

Please help a poor mortal female that does not understand cars. My Nissan Micra E (53 plate 36K) has decided to play up. Engine management light came on took it to garage who diagnosed Cam Position Sensor faulty. Replaced it. 2 days later light back on this time mechanic gave me the following codes that were wrong. P0340, P1111, P0011. He says the acuator? could be faulty or the Engine management unit is broken. Car starts and self revs then cuts out and wont restart for ages and there is a strong smell of petrol. I don't want to just keep shelling out cash. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong.

Post #56343

frank

Club Member
joannie

hi, sounds like its flooding somehow! ecu,s tend to be pretty bullet proof but sensors and actuators have a hard life in the engine bay and can play up!.
hopefully someone more knowlegable on k12,s can shed more light on the codes ?

Sorry but this sounds like the same problem I have (and hundreds of others)...Surely this is something for watchdog to investigate?

Basically anyone with a K12 Micra 1.0 or 1.2 (not sure about the other engines) can (or more than likely *will*) suffer with this.

See:

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13457

P.S. I hope I'm wrong in your case but it sounds very familiar.

Craig

so did any of you get the issue sorted. Because I am in the same boat, took it to a local garage and he coudl nto find the fault after replacing the cam sensor. he told me to take it to nissan and that it is an expensive job. yokes I only got the car on finance last year and have another two years to go from next january.

I MISS the reliability of the old nissan micra

Hiya,

Not sure if this will help... but my light kept coming on (see Fuel Filler Well Corrosion and Paint Issues post).

Unlike yours however, there were no real symptoms to the car, but on inspection from Nissan (luckily it's still under warranty) the catalytic converter was knackered.

Nissan had to replace it...

At first they thought it was the oxygen sensor as this has been a common fault on the K12s apparently.

The cat thing was a new fault for them... but common on renault!

Not sure this will help... but you never know

S

I went to a del boy garage unfortunately, th eguy said he replaced a cam sesnor. Today I had to call the aa to tow me back to his garage, he refused to take the care back and said it is a waste of time. The aa guy who know my dad said to the del boy garage guy that there are some screws and nuts missing and things are loose near the engine.

The computer from the aa said I needed cam and crank sensors. The garage guy did not buy new cam sensors, he just swapped them around. I was recommended to avoid nissan by the aa as they charge high prices and taken to another garage. Incidently the new garage was owned by a neighbour, so he was told of the issues by the aa and now he has the car.

Also, the timing chain is fine according to the aa guy. He said my engine would be done over if it was the timing chain. However he did notice flooding in the engine of petrol, due to me tryign at time to rev the car too much, but that was due to the issues I had.

wish me luck

The nissan is in better hands now.

:k12red:

any other guys have issues with their similiar to mine, have they been resolved?

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
obviously the aa guy knows jack all, first off the cam and crank sensors on a k12 cannot get mixed up as they are completly different to each other, and also if the chain is stretched it wont cause damage to the engine internals so again the aa guy is wrong! only when the chain snaps will it be new engine time

reason its not starting more than likely because the timing chain has stretched so far the ecu cannot spark at the correct timings and therefor flooding the engine which is causing the engine not to start and chuck up a cam or crank sensor fault

but hey what do i know only i work on nissans for a living and diagnosed one the other day with the exact same fault and symptom as you have

how much do you think it will cost to replace the chain then? I had the thought on the back of my head that it coudl be this issue, as things on the internet suggested. Gosh just finished uni, strapped for cash as it is and it seems to be a long job

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
nissan garage price inc parts and labour and vat is around £900 close to £1000

parts on there own is around 230 ish its the 8 hours labour that pushes the price up

okay cheers mate. I should inform the garage dude that the timing belt could be stretched. Do you think it is worth him still purchasing new cam and crank sensors

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
no get him to check the chain tensioner piston, if its out 10 or more mm then its new chain time and no need for new sensors

also when taking off the inlet cam pully he has to make sure he "locks" it a certain way so it dont #### the pully up internally

It does sound very much like Timing chain, I can get it replaced for £450 parts and labour, diagnostic work also using nissan diagnostcs, I'm based in the west midlands

cheers mate I'll keep you in mind if there is a next time. I got it repaired, for 867 not from nissan. It was too late to inform him not to buy the sensors. He also replaced the two back tyres as they had worn out and then the timing chain and oil and oil filter chainge.

He charged on 300 for his labour. It was the parts that cost

Nissan Micra engine management light

no get him to check the chain tensioner piston, if its out 10 or more mm then its new chain time and no need for new sensors

also when taking off the inlet cam pully he has to make sure he "locks" it a certain way so it dont #### the pully up internally

Hi, if i get a new timing chain, would i still need to get get the cam and crank sensors? and how much will that cost. Which timing change am i after, i have a nissan micra K12

Hi, if i get a new timing chain, would i still need to get get the cam and crank sensors? and how much will that cost. Which timing change am i after, i have a nissan micra K12

Surely the timing chain wouldn't be stretched that much after only 36k? The car would run rougher and rougher as the chain stretched, not the sort of thing to happen overnight. Has the mechanic checked the coil pack? It sounds like you are not getting a spark on the plugs to me, or it is over fuelling for some reason.

Slam

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
We are aware this is a 3 year old thread right?
rotfl.gif