Has my clutch cable snapped?

Well basically I was about to park up today and then bang. The clutch pedal is stuck the floor and wont return to its normal position. The clutch goes back if you lift it back up. If you push it more than an inch the pedal slams back down to the floor.

I've got a 1998 Nissan micra k11C, and the car was fully loaded if that's relevant...

Possible, find the gearbox end of it (should be relatively easy to find) and give it a tug, if theres sod all resistance then its likely! Check around the bulkhead as thats where one of mine snapped, think Mr Clutch charged 75 quid to do it, but some of the others will probably tell you its just as easy to do yourself

The riveted pin at the end of the clutch cable bracket that the clutch arm hooks onto has probably sheared off, its quite a weak design.
Mine failed cos i greased the sliding release bearing collar which collected dirt and produced alot of resistance against sliding, which made the the clutch pedal very hard to press and the unusually high tension eventually caused the pin to shear.

Check my blog page 6 post 292 on how i strengthened it with a nut & bolt
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6

The riveted pin at the end of the clutch cable bracket that the clutch arm hooks onto has probably sheared off, its quite a weak design.
Mine failed cos i greased the sliding release bearing collar which collected dirt and produced alot of resistance against sliding, which made the the clutch pedal very hard to press and the unusually high tension eventually caused the pin to shear.

Check my blog page 6 post 292 on how i strengthened it with a nut & bolt
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6

So it's probably just that rivit snapped off?

How do I get to the clutch bracket? I don't know that much about cars but i've got to learn some how :p
Going to try and pick up a haynes off Ebay. Don't have access to the car until tomorrow.

What tools did you need to replace it?

So it's probably just that rivit snapped off?

How do I get to the clutch bracket? I don't know that much about cars but i've got to learn some how :p
Going to try and pick up a haynes off Ebay. Don't have access to the car until tomorrow.

What tools did you need to replace it?

u need to look at the cable end to see what's failed.

its under the battery tray, just about accessable.
just need 10mm spanner to loosen the locknut then unscrew the plastic thumbscrew till the bracket can come out.
if the rivet has sheared clean off, just drill an m6 hole and replace with an m6 nut & bolt.

removing the battery tray will make access easier. 10mm spanner for battery terminals, 12mm socket for battery tray bolts, 10mm socket to undo screw holding the fuse box to the battery tray.

u need to look at the cable end to see what's failed.

its under the battery tray, just about accessable.
just need 10mm spanner to loosen the locknut then unscrew the plastic thumbscrew till the bracket can come out.
if the rivet has sheared clean off, just drill an m6 hole and replace with an m6 nut & bolt.

removing the battery tray will make access easier. 10mm spanner for battery terminals, 12mm socket for battery tray bolts, 10mm socket to undo screw holding the fuse box to the battery tray.

Found it today. Unhooked itself and was dangling down. Don't really need to remove the battery, was quite easy to reach. Y

Yeah the rivet didn't break although it does seem slightly dodgy. The cables broke inside at the the other of the cable.

IMG_0957.jpg

All fixed :). Set me back £50. £30 for the cable £20 for the guy to fit it (down at my uni address, we don't even have a spanner here).

Really? Bummer. Oh well it's done now.

While i'm here. Is it easy enough to get the door covers off? The speaker connections are a bit lose and can go off sometimes while driving. I want to replace the speakers but they have to be around the same size as the originals as I can't have visible speakers as part of the insurance.

Bumping this thread that I found via the search function.

Gents, my cable appears to have snapped from the wooden looking connector that connects to the pedal.

Does anybody have a picture as to where it's meant to hook up to once I've sourced the replacement part? Would I need a whole new cable? Also, do I need to drop the clutch pedal to hook it up?

i re-hook it to the top of the pedal by feel (did mine today, after lubing it) if you reach up with your left hand you should be able to feel the hook, then fit the g/box end afterwards

Back