Gettin' my top off

Greetings Micra dudes, just going to leave this right here for now.....

q4xmcnq

pn9hzsp

Last edited:
Hi looks like a very interesting project what is the year and spec of your Micra she looks like a 1st face lift, the rear reminds me a bit of my March Cabriolet lol! :)

Please keep us updated with pics if poss thanks for sharing.

Andy :D

Hi all,

Couple more pics of "the yellow beastie"....

oz5mat5

ov6cudt

pw2x4c6

And this is the cage (show cage) I'm using, mainly just to replace the rigidity from hacking the roof off.

ozz93ub

I'm currently welding (badly) the roof end, after that the bulkhead wall is going in and the cage will get fitted. The end game is to deck out the back in timber, with wood tops and maybe a button down cover.

o4ft6el

I will try and keep this thread updated; I've seen much talk of people getting scared off by horror stories of cars folding in half, DVLA / insurance issues etc. I'm hoping to chronicle the journey and some of the challenges along the way too.

Its no worse than my last crazy idea.....

p29qofc

:)

Chris.

A bit more progress........

qdbgrpr

nbfzxmo

Ground down my shabby welding..........

podmscl

Got some Kurust on the metal to make sure it doesn't rust, and when the other half is finished I will throw some primer on it and see what it looks like. Probably terrible.

pvk36j9

Chris.

Most kind! It might all end horribly, but sometimes you just have to do it anyway.

A lot of my projects start off as "how hard can that be?" conversations, things that catch my interest because they look pretty cool and people automatically dismiss them as being out of their reach.

I found a few comments on here and other sites about a Micra pickup, and figured it would be a pretty interesting project just to see if it was achievable for "the regular guy"..

So far so good; I've not spent a great deal, the car hasn't imploded, and I've got a clear plan of what I'm doing. I've still got the DVLA and insurance hurdles, but from my research so far, they shouldn't be show stoppers.

Watch this space! :)

Chris.

Last edited:
So, i was away this weekend, but managed to get a couple of sneaky (but highly productive) hours in the garage Sunday evening.

Got the rest of the roof line welded up and ground down.

nsb3kcg

Slapped some more Kurust on it.

nv9c74r

Masked it off (a bit) while that was drying.

phx9mdr

A bit of magic primer on there.

q5jv9f8

ngkk3jc

pmjhmfp

I need to arder some box steel for the bulkhead, i was going to try and "recycle" some crap i had lying around but it will probably take me longer and will look crap.

In the meantime i'm going to get the boot lid welded in place and start tidying up the wing tops.

ndntzsb

The image in my head is to finish the tops and the roof line / B pillars in wood something like this 'ere 928.

olbuofk

More soon!

Chris.

Hi all,

Couple more pics of "the yellow beastie"....

oz5mat5

ov6cudt

pw2x4c6

And this is the cage (show cage) I'm using, mainly just to replace the rigidity from hacking the roof off.

ozz93ub

I'm currently welding (badly) the roof end, after that the bulkhead wall is going in and the cage will get fitted. The end game is to deck out the back in timber, with wood tops and maybe a button down cover.

o4ft6el

I will try and keep this thread updated; I've seen much talk of people getting scared off by horror stories of cars folding in half, DVLA / insurance issues etc. I'm hoping to chronicle the journey and some of the challenges along the way too.

Its no worse than my last crazy idea.....

p29qofc

Chris.
Love it sooooo cool!
Keep us posted :).xx

Thanks for all the likes and positive comments! (You're never quite sure which waypeople will take it!)

So, yesterday I picked up this bad boy for the "rear window" for £10 off of the eBay. Fresh air is good for you right?

py4unka

I'm not sure the fitting instructions are going to be much use to me! I'm not actually sure how i'm going to use it tbph!

nfmzu7u

Started to tidy up where the rear pillars used to be, tacked up thecorners and started making some templates.

puj53q5

otktc6p

Some metal turned up - 3 x 1.4m lengths of 25mm x 25mm. I will be using these for building the bulkhead.

prpeyps

Also some paint i ordered turned up!

o5tk54q

More soon!

Chris.

I got about an hour in tonight, and achieved a bit more. Made some metal plates from the cardboard templates and added some holes where metal still existed from the C pillars.

np7thqz

Just tacked in place for now, but pretty solid. This line will run from the B pillar all the way around the car to the other B pillar.

q9ddjdk

o4t7lxs

So its pretty much going to look like that, just seamed up and ground off. After that, a bit of paint on it. After that, yeah wood I think still, but cut to shape and painted black.

C.

will it be staying the same colour when done?

Hi Andy, yes the original colour (EV2) looked pretty good. I'm guessing that from the state of the exterior paint and the stickers that were on the boot that the car spent a lot of time in the Spanish sunshine, so someone chose to respray it (badly). Having said that, lopping the roof off got rid of a lot of the really bad paintwork!

p6wug8s

I'm hoping to flat it all off and return it to "Impulsive Yellow"

c.

Lol. No worries. Projects like this can stall really easy if you let them. Just look on the eBay for "unfinished" or "abandoned" projects. There's loads.

The trick is to keep at it, little and often is better than waiting for a free day or just not doing anything.

c.

Hi Chris she is looking good for all your hard work, was thinking perhaps a rear end in wood like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang would look interesting! o_O

Please keep us updated.

Andy :D

Where I am there is a Corsa C :eek: That has been turned into a pick up, it used to be a 5 door, but they had not done a great job, messy weld lines, door handles not filled ect, but I'm pretty sure if they had put the work in it would have looked A* (For a Corsa :oops:) But I must say this is looking class already ;)

I would be interested in seeing a pic if you can get one.

I picked a 3dr Micra instead of a 5dr for one good reason. The doors are longer, meaning the B pillar is further back, meaning you can build the bulkhead further back, meaning you can get the seat further back.

I'm 6'4", so yeah, I like my legroom a lot.

Chris.

I would be interested in seeing a pic if you can get one.

I picked a 3dr Micra instead of a 5dr for one good reason. The doors are longer, meaning the B pillar is further back, meaning you can build the bulkhead further back, meaning you can get the seat further back.

I'm 6'4", so yeah, I like my legroom a lot.

Chris.

I though you've chosen a 2 door? ;)

If I can find a pic I will certainly fire it up here, me personally I prefer the 3 doors, 5 door shopping trollies seem a waste of time :p

Where I am there is a Corsa C :eek: That has been turned into a pick up, it used to be a 5 door, but they had not done a great job, messy weld lines, door handles not filled ect, but I'm pretty sure if they had put the work in it would have looked A* (For a Corsa :oops:) But I must say this is looking class already ;)

pics? build thread?

Pretty impressive but hardly a Micra anymore. You could drop any body you want on that, its a bit like me dressing up as a schoolgirl! Awesome doughnut machine though.

So, figured it was time i did a bit more tinkering.

Hacked some more of the boot lid top and made a couple more plates.

o4y4448

ndt6622

Plugged the holes that are not needed any more, boot lock and wiper motor.

qhbahyv

ngxueeg

Also switch from gasless to gas mig. I had half a roll of fluxed wire when i bought the welder (several years ago) and i have just been using gasless ever since. So now i'm having to learn how to weld badly using gas, as opposed to welding badly not using gas. Seems ok, just need to figure out the best settings now i have more things to twiddle with!

nkab4xd

owg4bce

So, I was planning on getting loads done, but went canoeing / snorkelling on the River Wye on Saturday with my dad, spent half a day in the garage Sunday, and had a really lazy Monday.

Got some more templates made from cardboard. I make these by gently tapping on cardboard, then trimming it based on the marks on the underside. Much more accurate than drawing around it.

pqhpxf5

nztq3a4

Also started cutting metal plates using the jigsaw, much more accurate and cleaner than using the grinder.

oppf7a7

nb2k2e9

Still needs seaming up on the inside edge as it's just tacked, but the outside edge is pretty solid, just needs grinding off.

pj8y8f5

Probably do the sides next then get around to the bulkhead. Found some more metal behind the Tumble dryer.

Chris.

Oh yes. Need to spend some more time on it though, I've another MR2 coming in for a V6 Swap so in a couple of weeks so it needs to be at least complete looking so I can scoot it up the lockup for a few weeks.

Paint might have to wait.

So, cheeky update on this. I've been pottering away here and there when I get chance. Spent few hours out there today and got all the welding done on the pickup top edge.

I've been playing with various welding gasses and trying to get my welder to play ball, but I'm reaching the rapid conclusion that it's a bit Fubar because the results are pretty fecking awful. I mean, its got it, you can beat on it with a hammer and its solid enough, but it looks terrible.

I'm going to grind it all flat and throw some more primer on it all, but I'm not pleased with meself. I might have to buy a new welder but I'm worried that it's just me who cant weld for sh#t.

47f41f5d40ec642c109dd4a9b41ae56b.jpg

5b66d3d85d42ced99ea21cbc6536688a.jpg

I need some wood to deck the top edge with, think I'm going with 12mm external ply. I can drop a sheet or two on top, draw round it cut to suit. Probably going with black gloss (same with the wheeks) to contrast the puss yellow.

I only have a couple more weeks to play with this project before it gets stashed in the lockup while I do an engine upgrade (or maybe two) on an MR2.

C.

Lol. I won't. I promised a friend I would fit a 3.0 v6 for him after jae, should only be in my garage for a month or so. Will stick a couple of pics or a link up somewhere. It's swap number 13 or 14, I've lost count. Theyre silly fast and cheap to build.

C.

Back