Changing shocks

CMF_Torres

» CMF Member
Hello, greetings from Norway. :)

I've just bought a 1993 1.0 Micra to use as a daily runner (I drive 86 km a day to my workplace and back, and fuel is VERY expensive here in Norway). Right now the car handles like a drunk Citroën 2CV, so I'm gonna change the shock absorbers today (front and rear).

Is this a straightforward job? Anything in peticular I must remember, any special tools and so on?

I guess this subject are covered in the Haynes manual (whick will be bought today), but I'm lazy and pops the question here first. ;)

Oh, before I forget: Nice site, and this seems to be an excellent forum!

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Torres,

It's a very straight forward operation if you follow the instructions in the Haynes manual.

Apart from a "torque wrench" and a set of sockets and spanners, the only special tool you may need is a spring compressor. This is required to allow you to remove the springs from the old front shocks/struts and then re-install them into the new ones.

Yes fuel is very expensive in Europe compared to Australia.... everyone here complains about paying A$1.35/litre but my relatives in Britain are paying the equivilent of about A$2.40/litre.

In my opinion it's never again going to be any cheaper... so a 1000cc micra is definately the way to go.

Good luck with it.

CMF_Torres

» CMF Member
makes WROTE:
"Hi Torres,<BR><BR>It's a very straight forward operation if you follow the instructions in the Haynes manual. <BR><BR>Apart from a "torque wrench" and a set of sockets and spanners, the only special tool you may need is a spring compressor. This is required to allow you to remove the springs from the old front shocks/struts and then re-install them into the new ones.
Yep, quite easy and a LOT of difference to the handling. The car is now actually making the turn, not just going straight a head.
Next on my maintenance-program on the Micra: 240.000 km service. :D

makes WROTE:
"Yes fuel is very expensive in Europe compared to Australia.... everyone here complains about paying A$1.35/litre but my relatives in Britain are paying the equivilent of about A$2.40/litre. <BR><BR>In my opinion it's never again going to be any cheaper... so a 1000cc micra is definately the way to go.
The fuel prices here in Norway are in fact now about A$ 2,73/litre. I refueled the Micra yesterday and milage was 0,5 l/100 km. Not bad.

Back