Gearbox issues

Hello all,
Got a problem with my Micra going from 3rd to any other gear, it seems to resist any movement on the gearstick. I was naively hoping it's just linkage but from what I have read it could be 3rd/4th synchro hub? This is not what I need with a 120 mile journey on the cards next week :(

Want a simple way to check? Jack up the car and loosen (but don't remove) the nuts and bolts that connect the gear linkage to the rubber mountings, and the rubber mountings to the body. Jiggle everything so that it can move freely.
Start the car and go through every gear and back again. While in nutral give the engine a little tickle on the trottle so that it rocks in it's mounts as it normally would.
Get back under the car (engine off & beware hot exhaust) and tighten up all the nuts and bolts you loosened.
Now your gear linkage is perfectly alligned to the engine & gearbox, and is no longer a possible cause. Things tend to fall out of allignment as mountings wear over the years so this could easilly be the cause of your trouble.
If yours is the 4-speed box don't worry, they're charicteristically rough dogs, especially after long runs or stop/start traffic.

Thankyou pork, mounts and everything are new, including linkage mounts and main rear engine mount. It's only ever pulling out of 3rd gear and up until a few days ago had been absolutely perfect. I'm getting a bit annoyed with it to be honest, can't seem to source another 5 speed box anywhere. So if anyone has a box tucked away in their shed or in a car they're breaking, I need it! :(

Thankyou pork, mounts and everything are new, including linkage mounts and main rear engine mount. It's only ever pulling out of 3rd gear and up until a few days ago had been absolutely perfect. I'm getting a bit annoyed with it to be honest, can't seem to source another 5 speed box anywhere. So if anyone has a box tucked away in their shed or in a car they're breaking, I need it! :(

If the mounts are new, and the problem is new, the're probably linked. As i said, it's best to re-allign the mounts and linkage before condeming the gearbox. I have had these problems myself and they seem like a big deal at the time, but turn out to be trivial. The front and rear engine mounts are also adjusted in the same way. Just loosen, run the engine, few little revs, tighten again. If the engine is not sitting where it wants to be, you can get the same symptoms, and a few others.
Anyway good luck with it :)

Back