Gearbox Issues - PLEASE OFFER ADVICE!

So I am having a few issues with the 1.0 gearbox. These are the symptoms - please read everything as I really need some help people - any help and input is massively appreciated

When arriving at a set of lights, I depress the clutch, put the shifter in neutral and when I am coming to a stop, just a second or two before, I like to put it in first gear (my speed at that point is around 3-4mph). It goes into first without hesitation but makes a whirring sound as it goes into first. It never used to make that sound before - STARTING HAPPENING AROUND 5 DAYS AGO.

Whistling noise while driving - I thought it was the air intake at first but its the gearbox. When I depress the clutch, the noise goes away. As soon as I lift off (even when in gear), the noise goes away. At the slightest touch of throttle, the whistle noise comes back - STARTED HAPPENING 1 DAY AGO.

Its difficult to put it into reverse. Today, after parking up, I went to reverse and it simply would just pop out each time I put it in reverse. Each time I got closer to the car parked in front of me as it was on a downhill! On the 6th attempt, I fully grabbed the shifter really tightly in position while it was in reverse, and gave the car a good amount of revs, and I managed to reverse out at the expense of wearing the clutch some! I then experimented on level ground just after and the car then seemed to go into reverse without popping out. However, when arriving home and reversing into the drive, it again would pop out over and over, so I just had to hold the gear stick tightly in reverse again and do it as I did before - STARTED HAPPENING TODAY.

When the car is idling and in neutral, it makes like a spinning rotary noise (kinda hard to explain) but if I depress the clutch, that noise goes away, only to come back as soon I bring the clutch back up - all of this while in neutral - ONLY REALISED THIS TODAY. I have a video of this noise but dunno how to upload on here - EDIT HAVE UPLOADED IT BELOW - TURN THE VOLUME UP AS ITS NOT EASY TO HEAR.

I have noticed that while driving and in gear, if I dont have the throttle pressed at all, then just with a little bit of force from my hand on the shifter, the car can pop into neutral. If I have the throttle pressed, then the car will not pop into neutral even with a decent amount of force - ONLY REALISED THIS TODAY.

This is all the information I can give, please can people share their wisdom! I really do hope I haven't destroyed the gearbox! I've heard coilpack boxes are tough and it works perfectly in all the other gears so I don't think the whole gearbox is done, I'm hoping its just a specific part of the gearbox thats worn?

Appreciate any help!

PS - Gearbox oil has never been changed - I thought it was a lifetime thing?! The gearbox is on around 86000 miles - the first 76000 miles on the 1.0 engine, and the last 10000 on the 1.4 engine.

Last edited:
I am unsure what the issue is, but it does sound like a wear issue

The 2nd paragraph, where you mention that you coast up to lights in neutral, do you mean from speed? As in you could be doing 40mph, clutch in, into neutral, clutch out, and at 3-4 mph then clutch in and changing to 1st? If so, this could be causing some transmission wear, the output shaft (wheels) are turning but I believe that the lubrication only occurs if the input shaft is also turning, which if you are in neutral it won't be.

I'm unsure how much wear it actually causes, it might be insignificant and your issues unrelated, there was a long hill I used to coast down in neutral until I realised it was unnecessary and I caused no damage that I can tell but my gearbox is also not so many miles so maybe it will show up soon. The gears in my car are difficult to get into sometimes, but not to the same degree as yours and they don't pop out

It could possibly be the throw bearings? it would explain some rotating sounds and some howling sounds, which would point to a clutch issue, if it's happening in all gears or if it's particularly hard to change gear while you are accelerating that is something I would look at

Thank you very much to all three of you. Will check the gearbox oil first and then get my trusty mechanic to check the thrust bearing and clutch adjustment.

in reply to matt, it’s usually that i slow down for the lights while in gear and when I get to around 15mph, I press the clutch down, and keep braking until I get to around 3-4mph, at which point I shift into 1st.

see if asked this question on any of the FB forums, I guarantee I would’ve got so many bs replies lol

thanks!

The thrust and adjustment, can be done at home realistic, mainly noise and locaction , adjustment, is see how far down /but before you loose or bite,

Normally the thrust can rattle for years , mainly from been dry or worn,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

In all honesty, I'm not experienced enough to do it myself. I can do a lot of the simpler car things now (fitting ECU's, injectors, changing exhaust manifolds, changing cams etc...), but nothing gearbox/clutch/flywheel related!

To my surprise, when driving the car today, I used reverse on 4 separate occasions and had no issues with it.
But its not something I am going to overlook, will be going to workshop soon.

Really appreciate the advice mate.

In all honesty, I'm not experienced enough to do it myself. I can do a lot of the simpler car things now (fitting ECU's, injectors, changing exhaust manifolds, changing cams etc...), but nothing gearbox/clutch/flywheel related!

To my surprise, when driving the car today, I used reverse on 4 separate occasions and had no issues with it.
But its not something I am going to overlook, will be going to workshop soon.

Really appreciate the advice mate.
Check the oil, and may want the cable just tightning alittle, just count the turns, just saves the bills really,
I run mine weird so I have a sharp clutch (abit like my pickup) or some think it's knacked lol
Be was getting a pain to get into reverse and first ect , but had orignal 99k 19yearold nissan oil in,

Check the oil, and may want the cable just tightning alittle, just count the turns, just saves the bills really,
I run mine weird so I have a sharp clutch (abit like my pickup) or some think it's knacked lol
Be was getting a pain to get into reverse and first ect , but had orignal 99k 19yearold nissan oil in,

Yeah I like the sound of saving the bills!
May just actually find a few youtube vids whatnot and try to do some of it myself, but first I'll check the gearbox oil and that seems to be the consensus as the first things to do!

CHEERS!

Gearbox stuff tends to be expensive to fix at a garage because of the labor cost of getting it all out and back together, I think I would be intimidated trying to fix it on my own though too

I'm just sort of putting up with mine at the minute and hoping it doesn't get any worse, don't think I've ever driven more gently lol. Do let us know what it ends up being

Gearbox stuff tends to be expensive to fix at a garage because of the labor cost of getting it all out and back together, I think I would be intimidated trying to fix it on my own though too

I'm just sort of putting up with mine at the minute and hoping it doesn't get any worse, don't think I've ever driven more gently lol. Do let us know what it ends up being

Will keep you posted! And will also be driving it gently over the next few days!

So it popping out of reverse is a nuisance, but I've found that if I turn the car off, then put it in reverse, then start the car, then its very likely that it stays in gear and doesn't pop out.

Either way though, its booked to go into the workshop on Wednesday but will try to check the gearbox oil over the weekend myself.

What sort of labour costs is it to replace a gearbox? Cheapest 1.0 box I can find is £96 on eBay!
(I'm just trying to plan ahead as I don't think the whole box is gone, all the other gears work perfectly).

Back