Gearbox issues

Recently the gearbox has been getting worse by the day, it seems to be mostly in the first few minutes of driving and it's at low speeds. It's getting difficult to get it into 2nd gear (from 1st) and the other day when I had to stop for an oncoming car, and they let me through, it wouldn't go from 2nd to 1st, or even neutral to 1st for several attempts.

Also there seems to be a few other things that are getting worse by the day too:
1. A high pitched whine that gets gradually louder the higher the revs go
2. Sometimes when I first put it into gear/reverse and start to drive, or if i'm at medium - high revs and lift off there's a horrible loud noise like metal scraping against metal
3. Again when I put it into gear and drive (mainly happens in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & reverse) then lift off the gearstick moves quite harshly, a lot more than it normally would

Does anyone know what this could be, and how to fix it? The only things I can think of is possibly a badly worn syncromesh for the main problem and damaged/worn gearbox mounts for no. 2 & 3 ?

Worn loose linkage bush will make 1st/2nd gear hard to select and rattle in 5th
Which part of the linkage? I've changed the shifter for a pulsar short shifter and there weren't any bushes on that, it was like solid metal which does make a bit of a buzz but only really in 4th gear

I assumed that the whining (if its the one when you rev) was from the (possible) lightened flywheel.

I did notice gear 2 being difficult to change to and the grinding, but i changed the mounts (on the old blog) which went away. Perhaps it was still there but i wasnt harsh enough (not insulting your driving or anyting :p )

The universal joint nearest the gearbox, bushes exposed to spray n salt tends to dry, rust, seize and wear loose.

Whine pitch matching revs and gets louder with load could be input shaft bearing and or low oil

I assumed that the whining (if its the one when you rev) was from the (possible) lightened flywheel.

I did notice gear 2 being difficult to change to and the grinding, but i changed the mounts (on the old blog) which went away. Perhaps it was still there but i wasnt harsh enough (not insulting your driving or anyting :p )
I asked George about that and he said he took the lightened flywheel out of it before he sold the car so i'm assuming it's had a normal flywheel in it since.
I know there isn't a front engine mount though as the automatic subframe doesn't have one but i'm going to get a front mount from a manual fitted to it soon to see if that solves the gearstick movement

I asked George about that and he said he took the lightened flywheel out of it before he sold the car so i'm assuming it's had a normal flywheel in it since.
I know there isn't a front engine mount though as the automatic subframe doesn't have one but i'm going to get a front mount from a manual fitted to it soon to see if that solves the gearstick movement
mine,s had no front mount fitted for about 3 yrs now, so it wont be that, and checking the oil level first is a no-brainer surely ?

The universal joint nearest the gearbox, bushes exposed to spray n salt tends to dry, rust, seize and wear loose.

Whine pitch matching revs and gets louder with load could be input shaft bearing and or low oil
Thanks, i'll check these and see if it resolves the problems

my stick also used to wonder abit and jerk the car when injectors switch on/off in slow traffic.

once I upgraded to new stiffer engine bushes it was stable n doesn't judder and as a result responds to light throttle alot smoother.
the cause of the stick movement was a worn soft cracking rear engine mount.

my stick also used to wonder abit and jerk the car when injectors switch on/off in slow traffic.

once I upgraded to new stiffer engine bushes it was stable n doesn't judder and as a result responds to light throttle alot smoother.
the cause of the stick movement was a worn soft cracking rear engine mount.
Thank you, out of interest where would I be able to get some stiffer engine bushes? Also how much difference is there in ratio between the CG10 and CG13 gearboxes, or is there any difference between the CG13 pre-face and facelift ones?

Thank you, out of interest where would I be able to get some stiffer engine bushes?

matt humphris

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-27#post-458040

dsc04738.jpg

I experienced the same problems with one of my old cars (fto v6+n). I had ruined the diff bearings which fubar'd the gearbox..... could drop the gearbox oil to check if there are metallic lumps in it... I hope not.

One of the things I have noticed with mine occasionally is when putting it into 1st or 3rd gear it's like metal scrapping against metal. Doesn't happen all the time though. Where is the gearbox oil?

Guys
Rather than start a new thread i am adding to the existing one. My problem is that i have been getting occasional metal scraping noise when 3rd gear is selected. All other gears are fine. I have now been driving without using the 3rd gear for few days now to avoid this noise. It is almost as if you put a metal to a rotating grinder and then pull it away. Its driving me mad. If i don't select 3rd gear then there is no noise at all. Is my gearbox on its way out? what can be done? I love my 1999 K11 and its flown threw the mot just last week. Or could it be an oil issue?Thanks for all your wise suggestions.

Thx h701
I am going to check the gear oil anyway as first port of call. Any other suggestions? If not I will consider getting a second sourced gearbox. But before i do that I will make sure I run the existing gearbox til end of its life......

Update!!! What started off as grinding noise in 3rd gearis actually a feature in all gears. The scraping/gringing noise is now present intermittently regardless of gear selection (i havent checked reverse yet).

I checked gear oil level and the level is brimmed up to the refill nut.
It looks like some sort of a common bearing.
I can try changing gear oil to start with.
or strip down the gearbox but not sure if internal parts are readily available?
the 2nd hand gear box option is looking more like a real prospect now. how easy is it to replace? Is there any special equipment needed?
Thanks for your suggestions?

A ratchet is all you'll require :)
Parts aren't really readily available for gearboxes. Though I dont doubt your ability to rebuild gearboxes. Opting for a second hand is the better option. The can inspect yours without worrying about it having to work afterwards :)

Back again. Since I posted last the grinding sound from the tranny disappeared. Before I could hear it at low revs but now its not there any more. I have tried different speeds of up to 70mph , nothing. It is back to its old self. Should I worry the problem could return suddenly with a mighty bang.

Back again. Since I posted last the grinding sound from the tranny disappeared. Before I could hear it at low revs but now its not there any more. I have tried different speeds of up to 70mph , nothing. It is back to its old self. Should I worry the problem could return suddenly with a mighty bang.

I had same problem then I changed gearbox was fine again

Back