Gearbox help

wehey

Ex. Club Member
i have just taken ownership of my second k11 which was sold to me with a suspected gearbox problem??

What happens is that the gear stick centres over 4th and 5th rather than 2nd and 3rd making 3rd to 4th and 4th to 3rd very vague and hard to find.

Any clues guys?

gearchange rods maybe ? is the rear mount ok wehey ?

Haven't checked the engine mount yet. Will do once the rain stops.
Are you thinking that the engine maye have shifted?

What are the gear change rods? Are we talking inside the box?

nah, the rods under the floor mate :) and if the rear mount is loose or drooping it effects the gearchange

Check the gear level spring is in place? Simple fix if it is this !
Yep this is in place.
The spring is pulling the lever/linkage all the way over to the 5th/reverse position tho.

On my other Micra the gear stick stays over 3rd/4th. When you go over to 1st/2nd or 5th/reverse it springs back to the Middle.
The new Micra only springs one way.

What would usually cause the lever to spring back, from 5th/reverse to the centre?

Last edited:
check the two bolts that secures the gearstick ball socket mount is not loose, causing sloppy vague selections

the spring under the stick returns it from left-centre while the spring inside the gearbox returns it from right-centre

check the two bolts that secures the gearstick ball socket mount is not loose, causing sloppy vague selections

the spring under the stick returns it from left-centre while the spring inside the gearbox returns it from right-centre

Ahhhh, so there's a spring inside the gearbox too eh. I thought that must be the case as I could see no other way it could spring back.
The previous owner said "it just went", so I'm guessing that this is the case. Can it be brought as a spare part?

look at bottom of this post on me blog

2010-09-376-jpg.33591

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-11#post-419891

I have taken the offending part out. It put up a fight esp as I was laying under the car in a puddle.
When I removed it a small ball bearing fell out too.
Any idea where it goes. It doesn't seem to be part of the mechanism?

Lookes like a load of crud has got inside the assembly and caused it to stick.
Have freed it up now and ready to reinstall.
Just got to figure out where this extra ball bearing has come from first

Back