Gearbox help please!!!!! :(

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Hi

tried to change the gearbox oil today, the speedo cable retainer has the tab missing and will not budge one bit so i asume it has been loctite'd into place, the gearbox badly needs oil, i cannot think of any other places to fill it from or how to get the rest of the retainer out without taking the engine and gearbox out which i really really do not want to do!!

The only other thing i can think of is drilling a hole in the top of the gearbox housing and making my own cover (very bad practise i know and probably still wont work) any ideas guys???

cheers

Steve

i wouldnt drill it, shavings in the box etc, is this on the super s?

try getting some mole grips or similar on the drive thing and try turning it. perhaps its just corroded in or something.

or heat it up? oxycetaline or however you spell it lol or just a little blowtorch? not sure if theres a lot plastic near it which could melt though.

It is on the super s, the drive will not pull out at all ive tried everything and it will not move

heating it up has pushed it further into the gearbox lol yet to try the mole grips (when i find the,) at least the things moving :)

if i take the side cover off the gearbox (remove drive shafts etc) will all the gears drop out etc? as i dont know how to put it back together if it does :S

Steve

best not separate the casings steve :eek:, i would jack the nearside of the car up about 2ft and pull a shaft out then fill it from there :)

with patience and some improvisation ->

i suppose, that the gearbox has a drain screw on the bottom.
find similar screw, drill a suitable hole in it and somehow fit a small pipe/hose on it.. or if you do not want to fiddle with screws, just find a hose, wrap the end with duct tape to make some kind of "seal" and stick it into the hole..

then using syringe or something like that, fill it with oil.. of course the top of the hose/tube should be high enough to stop the oil coming back out

fill if more than you need, quickly unscrew the screw and screw in the original screw.. hopefully you wont loose that much oil...

well, thats my rather complicated theory :)
(hopefully you understood, if not, sorry for english)

one thing thats worrying me about this gearbox is when i gear down from 3rd to 2nd as the rpm is dropping in 2nd there is a muffled knock, knock, knock but only in this gear, i dont know if this is the gearbox or a drive shaft although i thought it would do it in every gear if it was a shaft, new gearbox mabe soon?

Steve

UPDATE!!!:

after finding some strange crunching noises from the gearbox i have had the car jacked up wheels off and engine running in gear, the passenger wheel hub spins normally can cannot be stopped other than brake, the drivers side does not spin as fast and is very juddery and can easily be stopped without the brakes (The brakes on the two wheels were not sticking). Does this mean that my differental / gearbox has packed up?

Cheers

Steve

UPDATE!!!:

after finding some strange crunching noises from the gearbox i have had the car jacked up wheels off and engine running in gear, the passenger wheel hub spins normally can cannot be stopped other than brake, the drivers side does not spin as fast and is very juddery and can easily be stopped without the brakes (The brakes on the two wheels were not sticking). Does this mean that my differental / gearbox has packed up?

Cheers

Steve

both sides of the diff use the same planet gears steve, are you sure its not a bad shaft or CV ? :)

i dont think so, i honestly would not know how to tell other than buying a new one :S

on both sides when not in gear and jacked up i can spin both shafts freely

no your diff sounds to be working fine! it will give different outputs!

your short shaft will always get more momentum than the long shaft!

if i remember there is a breather on top of the K10 box's isnt there! - it will take time due to the size only being around 5 mm thick but you can top it up through that!

if you split the box it will not drop gears unless something is broken - they are all on with bearings and surclips keeping it in place along with your selectors! but i dont recommend splitting it!

its been a long time since i played with a k10 ma box but im sure they have a breather to the top on them though! - just use this!

is the crunching under load? does it disappear with it jacked off the floor? if its under load you will most prob find its the shaft more than anything! because the box would crunch whilst the load is off if it was that!

TBF why dont you get another box and change it...they are pretty easy to do if you have mechanical experiance

Glad to hear it's all sorted, i upgraded from a ropey old 4-speed to a long ratio 5 speed about six months ago. Since then i've had the old box in the garden and of course i just had to open it up and see how it worked lol.
That box knocked and knuckled and stuck in all gears but the cause of all these problems was simply two worn springs that were no longer keeping the gear shaft central. So as daft as it sounds that's probably what was gone on yours, well that and worn bearings lol.

Back