need help please, gearbox

yesterday i set out to replace my nackered cv boot and joint, came to remove the old joint and found it wasnt for coming off :( i think it seized on hit it with a hammer endless times, so i got my spare driveshaft which already has the joint off, my plan been to put my new joint on there and use that shaft BUT

i remove the old drive shaft and got covered in gearbox oil, it came out like niagra(sp) falls, guessing at the rate it came out it was under some amount of pressure like the box was way way overfilled. alot came out. i could of easily filled half a bucket

so anyway does the oil have to be filled to the top or does it have a certain amount. i think once the level dropped below the diff it stopped so is it only ment to be filled to the diff level, most level check holes are about half way up on most gearbox. if not looks like its going to the garage as my speedo drive is seized on too and i cant top the oil up

oh and my spare drive shaft is from a 1.3 so this should go with a 1.0 box right? so ive read on here lots of times

You got covered in oil because you diddnt drain the gearbox.
You have to fill it from where the speedo cable enters the box - it can be abit difficult sometimes but it does come off with a little tap...

Back