Gearbox gear lever?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, having just picked up a 1999 T registered 1.0 petrol for my sister.

I plan to give it a full service this week but just after some help or advice regarding the gear lever.

The lever doesn't fall back into the neutral position and remains between 1st and 2nd when taken out of gear. It doesn't affect the driving but just wondered if this was an easy fix... A spring maybe?

Also, when moving the stick a rattle or knocking can be heard under the car. Directly under the stick. Is this the cables catching on the heatshield/exhaust?

Cheers everyone

Edit: think it could be this... http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/gear-rattle.58542/#post-643840

Last edited:
As Matt said above, it's a spring, you need to take off the heatshield above the Cat and you should find the spring is dangling or snapped. Either renew it, or just as easy, simply take the next coil along on the spring and hook that into place where the old one went. Alternatively, for a proper bodge, take off your gear lever gator and apply length of elastic to the base of the stick, then.... hook said elastic around the screws on the right hand side of the plastc centre console, that does the job too, or pack the left hand side of the gator with upholstery sponge from the living room sofa, that works too.

Back