Gear box

Hi all!

This is my first post after becoming the owner of a 1.0L 1999 micra the other day.

Is it normal that the gear stick feels loose, i dont know how to describe it, but like its difficult to tell if its in neutral or not!

im changing the gear box oil at the weekend anyway so this might help, just wondered if maybe the gear box was on its was out?

thanks!
Dave

When in neutral, if you move the stick to the left or right does it bounce back to the middle or stay at the side? If so I'd guess it's just your return spring.

thanks guys, yeh when i move the stick it doesnt have any bounce to it, its just, er, limp lol

how easy is the return spring to sort out?

thanks!

tis a little spring underneath dave (and you will need to remove the 2nd cat heatshield for access iirc) :)

yea frank you have to take the second cat heat shield off i also droped my de-cat out to get better access when i changed my shifter to my short shifter

thanks everyone.

i have had chance to drive the car a bit more since first finding this problem, and its REALLY hard to find 3rd gear, once again the stick feels too loose. Is this problem still related to the spring?

cheers,
Dave

thanks everyone.

i have had chance to drive the car a bit more since first finding this problem, and its REALLY hard to find 3rd gear, once again the stick feels too loose. Is this problem still related to the spring?

cheers,
Dave

i would stick it in any gear, and get someone to waggle the stick sideways while you look for excess play dave :)

Back