Gear lever rattle

My P reg 1.0 Muzic (manual gearbox) has an annoying gear lever rattle / vibration only when accelerating or cruising at say 60 mph. I just rest my knee against the lever and the noise goes away. I wondered if there was anything simple that could be causing this like a missing spring or something?
If I was to remove the rubber gear lever gator (from inside the car) would I be able to identify the problem or would it need to be looked at from underneath?
Any ideas?

thanks
Mark

If you have an aftermarket gearknob, they sometimes rattle on the original gear stick, especially if you have an adapter that you fit onto the gear stick with grub screws, then screw the gearknob onto that. Other than that, could be the something to do with the heatshield like essexpunx says. Shouldn't be anything hugely serious though

Can someone explain where the return spring should be located and if it would be visible by looking from inside the car with the gator removed?

It's easier to remove the entire gear lever surround, and then there's a metal plate at the base of the gear lever that has to come off so you can see the springs

Can someone explain where the return spring should be located and if it would be visible by looking from inside the car with the gator removed?

the return spring is accessed from under the car toob (it keeps all the joints under tension, and prevents the rattle)

Attachments

• SDC12369.JPG
    SDC12369.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 783
Back