Gear Shifters

CMF_dewr41

» CMF Member
Reading some other posts, people don't seem to like short shifters that much. I've seen on some pictures though that some gear shifters are shorter compared to mine. Is this standard on some Micras or have they just cut some off?! Well at least they seem shorter because mine seems really long! I was thinking about just taking a hacksaw to it and taking about 40mm off. This would shorten the throw a bit and also looks a bit better, however it also makes the knob further away and could compromise the driving position. Has anyone done this and are there any consequences? Comments welcome...

Thanks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
It will make changing gears even harder.

I don't know about your seating position either but the factory shifter height and location isnt too crash hot - making the height shorter would make changing gears a chore (which it shouldnt be.. it should be a source of enjoyment and a link between you and whatever power you have hitting the wheels)

The idea of a short shifter is to lengthen the lower pivot point to allow you to shift the gears in a quicker movement.

Unfortunately it seems that most aftermarket short shifters arent at a very good leverage to movement ratio and can make you miss a gear/make the gearbox feel overly knotchy and tight.

If possible find some Micra owners in your area with different short shifters and have a feel of them. See which one you like best and then buy that particular item.

Cheers

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive got the Cisco brand one. From Cisco! :D

I love it. However, if i had the choice, id probably try taking about 5cm off the top and only add about 2cm to the bottom. Sort of a less extreme short shifter thats pleasing to the eyes and the gearbox. Dunno how much it would improve shifting, but just getting the Cisco hifter ive started getting my gear shifts right and hence, huge overall acceleration boost. Almost like driving an auto :D

Back