Ring gear for White Knight

CMF_justo

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

I've got a problem (one of many) with White Knight.

To get it started, I have to roll the car in 5th a bit beforehand. Otherwise, it sounds like the starter motor is just spinning and grinding the teeth. I've been told the ring gear needs replacing.

The car is at the mechanics at the moment for a clutch change and he's inspected the ring gear. He said it's got some damage, and the starter motor was actually a bit loose, but he's pretty confident he can clean it up and get it going.

He said he's tried to source a ring gear from Nissan but they said there's none in Australia and it'd have to be imported from Japan with a 3 week turnaround time.

Does this all sound about right? Is there somewhere I can source a new ring gear in my own time? How do I know what kind of ring gear to get?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Go to the wreckers and buy another flywheel from a manual gearbox micra.

The ring gear can be removed, and the ringgear on the datrats clutch can also be removed.

You will need to pull the gearbox off to do this, obviously.

Goodluck

cisco

» CMF Member
These cars are getting old man, bloody so hard to get parts now :(

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Not old - just nearly classics!

Yeah you're right about that. Bet there's heaps of readily available aftermarket as well as factory parts for the colt.

(Noticed there is already lots of stuff for the Fiesta XR4 - a Quaife LSD for just under 600 UKP)

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
The whole classic thing just dawned on me just now... wow that's amazing. How old is it when they classify cars as classic or veteran. A question for the older drivers?

Good to see a comment Cisco! you must be like myself, just checking posts but often too busy to post yourself..

I will be doing a huge write up in the near future. Still saving the dough for some sensors and little fiddly bits that are needed to get the EMS running properly.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Geoff W WROTE:

"The whole classic thing just dawned on me just now... wow that's amazing. How old is it when they classify cars as classic or veteran. A question for the older drivers?

"Classic" can be open a bit to interpretation in that it can be an age or a rarity thing. Some things will never be "classics". My Lada Ute for instance is rarer then a Super S but that will never make it classic.
Early (as in small rear window) Volkswagon Beetles are considered classics but the later Beetles (still the rear engined ones) are not generally thought of as classic although essentially they are just an upgrade on the earlier models.
I think in terms of age anything made before about 1974 can qualify as Classic but still on that proviso that some things just never will be considered for the "classic" label. Then there are the fads which see some cars come and then go again in desirability.

The only Jap cars that I hear being referred to as "Classic" are the early "Z" cars and the even earlier Datsun Fairlady.
I think the K11's could become a "Keeper" later in their life. A bit like Morris Minors (and there were millions of them made),not overly special in their design but just with a certain something about them (talking Micras here).

Unless we are talking Exotica I think very few modern cars will become true classics, it's just not in the mindset of the modern driver or designer.
Any classics that came from Japan were (in my opinion) good flukes of design.I feel that especially in the Japanese mindset they have are only now grasping the concept of "Classics". One of the biggest buyers of the original mini is Japanese buyers.
Japanese car makers go for quality and function, nice lines (and more then a little bit of bling & gimmick) but they have not grasped the concept of classic and really it's not in their interests to produce cars people want to keep. They want us to keep buying the latest, flashiest thing they can can turn out.
My mate tells me Veteren is up to about 1920 Vintage to about 1942 then classic to as I said about 1972.

Mychael

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I suppose I was a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said the Micra might eventually be a "classic". Classics are often produced in small numbers, are sometimes quirky if not innovative, usually are considered automotive sculpture and attract a cult following. Certainly some of that might apply to the Micra at least in Australia where they were a bit of a flop (mainly because of their pricing - can get an equivalent or better car now for less than they were over a decade ago!) so are a low volume car on the road. The Super S will certainly have some rarity value in the future, especially if totally stock. I think it would be fairer to say the Micra will be a cult car (which in our group it already is) rather than a classic.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I don't know if anyone follows the Shannon's motor auctions.
They send me out flyers whenever there is one coming up. It includes pictures of the cars and expected price range.

Anyway,this is how silly things are getting. In the upcoming Melbourne auction there are (amongst other stuff) a 2005 Lamborghini Murcilago, price $320,000- $360,000. Also for auction is a genuine 70's Ford GT/HO $340,000-$380,000.

Now I'm sorry but one is an elegant, technically refined super car and the other is a bland 70's sedan that was tarted up with a hot motor and suspension and trim. PLEESSE.
I mean if you had a spare 80k (tops) you could source yourself out a clapped out/rusty stock XY ford sedan stick a V8 in it, a suspension pack, send it to the trimmers and a paint shop and have something that would look and feel the same as a genuine HO. Could you do that to make a Lambo? I think not but people are paying exotic car money for tricked up sedans.. I shudder.

Mychael

Attachments

• 30547.jpg
    30547.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 30
Back