Stiff gear change

Hi All,

I have a k11 2003 60k 1.0l Micra and the gear changes were really stiff, so we managed to get the linkage off after some effort and the joints on that were really seized so have lubed that up and it's made a huge difference. I've driven a k12 before and the change in that was infinitely better though expect that's as result of it being a newer design?

However, occaisionally it's still a bit stiff especially getting in to second, though it can catch you out in other gears as well. I'm guessing that this may mean the clutch is on its way out? That's also a quite a job to change on a micra as well? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tara.

the exposed gearshift/gearbox universal joint at the front tends to rust n seize up solid. due to the harder effort required, this could cause the gearstick bush at the other end to wear looser.
the seized bush has to be disassembled, wirebrush or grind only the surface corrosion off, grease and reinstall. if the removed rust layer was very thick, it could result in a slack bush clearance, which would cause difficulty in selecting 1st/2nd and a rattling gearstick in 5th. remedy is either replace the linkage mechanism, custom lathe a new bush or convert to ball bearing bushes

Thanks PollyP,

I hadn't noticed any slackness in 5th but can check when I get the car back this weekend, do you think it's worth draining the gearbox oil as well to check for any damage?

If it's just the linkage then can live with that for now, but really need to know if gearbox has had it before the probably worthless warranty runs out!

Thanks,

Tara

doesn't hurt to check, you'll be able to see if there's any major big metal pieces coming out the drain. if the oil's still clear and there's no crunching, grinding noise in the gearbox then its fine to reuse. replacing with new gear oil will obviously be beneficial but have to judge if it really needs it and if its affordable.

Back