funny engine noises! (inc. timing chain)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
OK So the jap engine is in..

It has an annoying TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK (increases with revs) - doesn't go its always there..im thinking its NOT the timing chain (great)

it sounds like its literally coming from directly under the centre of the cam cover..ie between 2-3 plugs.

is the actual timing chain tensioner problem rattle a more of a chhh chhh chhh chhh chhh?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Yeh sounds like signs of early engine problems.

Were you saying that the jap motors original clutch had seen hard work? Is it possible it has some re-ground cams in it? High duration spec'ed cams can cause lots of funny noises.

Now, moving back into reality - run some engine flush through it if you havent already done so. Go down to your local supercheap or whatever and stock up on those Nulon things. They work wonders.

The nulon 80,000km engine treatment is increddible stuff. Can make the most abused motor run so smooth....

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hmm might have to invest in some of that... Except my car has near 150,000km.... Does that mean I can't use the 80,000km stuff lol..

:p

Sean - I wish they made a nasal spray for bad humour "Up the nose and away it goes!!"

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes agree about running some Nulon sort of stuff ( teflon)in the oil.
Aaron get someone to listen to it. I know I go on about Errol but someone like him could tell you what it is.
Could be something simple.
Get it checked out mate.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Sean that's my joke and you know it!!!

I've even got the chat log history to prove it bahaha

Oh yeh, you can run the 80,000km treatment in yours. It costs Roughly $32 but it is worth every cent. It actually just lasts for 80,000km.

The only other additive I like is stuff called Roil. Its a racing additive. But last I checked I'd have to sell my left kidney to pay for a bottle. :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Yeah will get on to Errol about it tonight..was thinking of doing that anyway

Most likely tappets though i'd say.

Old engine did it as well.

and the clutch that had high use was my own clutch..heh..

Back