timing chain rattle?

hi all

if there is a slight timing chain rattle or rattle coming from engine in IDLE is this costly to fix?

does it have to be nissan?

and genereally in fixinf the Micra engine or elecs etc does it have to be a dealer or only if its engine?

Thanks

TBH any garage can carry out the work but it depends if you have some kind of warranty with a 3rd party company (as I'm guessing most K11's are now out of their warranties).

When I looked into it about 5 years ago I was getting quote from £200-300 for parts and labour.

Its probably just the tensioner, take it out and clean it by retracting it a few times or get a new one and replace...

Ive got a rattle too, i would have thought it was easier to put in another engine, but im not to sure. Is there a detailed guide as to how to get to the tensioners/chain and how to change?

changing the upper tensioner is much easier and less labour than changing a whole engine.

basically
-move crank to TDC,
-remove engine cover,
-note the position of the camspocket & idle spocket markers relative to the upper timing chain markers,
-remove cam spocket with socket & adjustable spanner
-remove camshaft bearing caps & camshafts
-support sump with jack
-remove RH engine mount
-remove the RH black timing chain access panel
-pull out the upper tensioner
-reset new tensioners spring (rotate the inner spring shaft thing clockwise till it's gone all the way and the teeth catch'll hold it there)
-and gently reinstall back into the hole till it just touches the end (do not push anymore otherwise the catch will trip releasing the spring and you'll need to reset it again)
-reassemble

lower tensioner is preferably an engine out job cos its harder to access

i think in my case its the lower chain thats rattling. But im not sure if you can tell just from the sound if its tensioners or the chain itself. The sound like like: crr...crr...crrr...crrr and goes faster as i rev up. it isnt a constant rattle like it was loose :S (although it might be)

hi

thanks for all your replied. so when i,m buying a new one keep an ear on that crr crrr crrr sound on revving and idling.

Thanks

Back