Timing chain

Hi, I have no idea how to use this thing I’m ngl so please bare with
I past my test last year, know nothing about cars what so ever. I have a 2011 micra with 133k miles, I don’t know if the timing chain/cam belt has been done or not, I see nothing about it on the service history, but a friend has said not to worry about it until I hear a rattle from the engine? But I’m slightly concerned because I’m pretty sure it was meant to have been done between 90-100k miles right? Or am I being a little slow?

And also, I have an annoying whining whistle sound coming from my engine, I’ve been told it sounds like the alternator is on its way out, but not to worry until I get a battery warning light, is this something I should worry about sooner rather than later? Will it cause me more problems?

Timing chains are generally fitted for life, as such there is no service interval for them.

Your friend is correct, a rattle, especially at startup or cold could indicate that the chain or tensioners need attention however it's a reasonably big job as the side of the engine needs to be completely disassembled to get to all the parts needed. The best thing you can do is keep up with the maintenance, as neglecting the engine is what causes problems.

The previous generation (K12) is known for timing chains jumping a tooth or 2, but not seen this being reported on the K13's

As for the whistle, it could be a number of things and it would need to be diagnosed correctly

Back