K11 timing chain

CMF_lawrence

» CMF Member
Hi any one know if the noisy timing chain on my K11 can be quietened without major surgery ie maybe just renew the tensioner. Can this be done just by removing the top cover plate ?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
hi lawrence

my 95 ss top chain was hanging by a thread at 100,000mls, but the bottom one was still servicable at 132,000.
they usually get very noisy before they let go tho, and i doubt a new tensioner would help, and it,s a sump, covers and oilpump off job to change them both

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Mine's been noisy since I bought it at 114,000km - it's at just under 140,000 now and it's still going strong, but when I pull this engine out it's getting replaced.

I replaced the upper tensioner at about 120,000km and I was kicking myself 'cause I should've done two things

1) Check the original one first and then realise that it was barely worn at all
2) Realise that because of the way the tensioner is designed, it's meant to keep the same amount of pressure on the chain no matter how much it's worn down (as it has oil pressure from the shaft that it's placed on)

I replaced it anyway hoping it might help but it's still the same.

I'm no expert on timing chains (or engines for that matter! :p) but I'd say if you want to be 100% sure the noise and the potential issue of it snapping is gone, then just replace the whole lot. Shouldn't be that much over there in the UK to buy the chain kits and tensioners so the only real pain is the labour.

---dens

CMF_lawrence

» CMF Member
lawrence WROTE:

"Hi any one know if the noisy timing chain on my K11 can be quietened without major surgery ie maybe just renew the tensioner. Can this be done just by removing the top cover plate ?

Thanks to dens and Frank for your advice . Think i might just take the top cover off and have a look for now because its not that noisy .

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
lawrence WROTE:

"lawrence WROTE:

"Hi any one know if the noisy timing chain on my K11 can be quietened without major surgery ie maybe just renew the tensioner. Can this be done just by removing the top cover plate ?"</div>

Thanks to dens and Frank for your advice . Think i might just take the top cover off and have a look for now because its not that noisy .

If it isn't overly noisy and it eventually does disappear when its warm then you shouldn't need to worry :) At least, that's what I tell myself..

---dens

Back