Fuel milage?

just wondering what everyones average fuel milage is, i recon mines ####e, 60miles on a tenner @ £1.18.9/liter :/ blatently something wrong there

aye i done that test years ago and last year,drive fast on the same amount of fuel as when you drive slowly,couldnt see any difrunce........driving brisk was doin better mileage than slow driving

aye i done that test years ago and last year,drive fast on the same amount of fuel as when you drive slowly,couldnt see any difrunce........driving brisk was doin better mileage than slow driving

Funnily enough i've had some times when i've found this to be true, although i have apserlutely no idea how.

i just cruise, i do 30 miles to work down a-roads and motorways then chill on the way back down another a-road

i average 60-65mph on the motorways just chillin in the slow lane and it just drinks all my money, i cant even afford to get to work tomorrow because of this :(

yes that happens to me too on some occasions. a certain combi of fairly wide (not full) throttle accelerations upto 4k revs, steady 70mph on motorways non-stop without braking.

maybe cos during acceleration, the throttle being opened wider for most the period might be improving the engines brake specific fuel consumption rate, i read about here

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html

during cruise at 70mph, the wider throttle opening required to sustain that speed maybe a sweet spot where the engine produces the required power at its most efficient due to reduced intake resistance to overcome the 70mph air resistance?

I've been getting an average of about 40mpg from 15 litres put in when the petrol light comes on (either Shell FuelSave or BP standard petrol). I do a lot of town driving with some motorways and A roads a couple of times a week.

So depending on how I drive, between 115-140 miles to the 15 litres. If I'm not in a hurry I sometimes do 65 on the motorway so it doesn't reach 3k RPM.

Pumping losses are the biggest problem on the Micra. I.e. high rpm with small amounts of throttle is really inefficient. I have done a lot of experimenting with efficiency and found that its not unusual for a small engined car to get a lower mpg than one with a bigger engine, if driven at higher speeds (i.e. motorway etc) where physically small cars with smaller engines are at an advantage is around town etc where their weight (or lack of) requires much less energy to stop and start.

andyniss your getting about 33 mpg, which if you are genuinely driving how you say then your car may be in need of a service, items such as blocked air filter/lambda sensor/ignition timing/tyre pressures will make a difference. If these are ok then it can only be the way you drive. You want to get into the lowest gear possible as soon as you can and avoid full throttle. The only way I can describe it is drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash and you cant spill anything - its very boring lol.

Pumping losses are the biggest problem on the Micra. I.e. high rpm with small amounts of throttle is really inefficient. I have done a lot of experimenting with efficiency and found that its not unusual for a small engined car to get a lower mpg than one with a bigger engine, if driven at higher speeds (i.e. motorway etc) where physically small cars with smaller engines are at an advantage is around town etc where their weight (or lack of) requires much less energy to stop and start.

By this logic sustained speed around 3.5k RPM uses a lot more fuel than 3k RPM on the motorway without much throttle am I right? Whereas obviously it uses a lot less at 2.5k RPM (all in 5th gear). Note to self: don't take Micra over 60 unless you can afford the fuel bill. (Y):laugh:

wizardwind, what was wrong with your throttlebody that you done to get those 300 miles? cos a tankfull on my car i get around 180-200 driving economical and i know theres cars can give more miles then that...

Cheers

J

I do over 430 miles out of a full tank...suppose that's quite good.:p:p

Thats bloody good in my opinion, Seems like maybe the throttlebody maybe the culprit for lesser mileage or maybe im wrong? i have a new lambda sensor fitted but a universal one!! and still no difference!!

J

I do over 430 miles out of a full tank...suppose that's quite good.:p:p

A little correction... I did 450 miles out of full tank. I drove the car until it stopped.had 5l container with petrol in the trunk.
The red light came off at around 410 miles and I was surprised with the extra 40 miles after that. was expecting not more than 20...

My 160 says it averages 42.9 mpg which equates to 397 miles to a 42 litre tank, that's alot of dual carriageway and motorways mind :grinning:.

That's the average for about the last 10,000 miles. If I reset on the motorway, it does 50+. Only reasons can think of are I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and use name brand petrol :).

I bought this car to replace my fuel hungry mercedes C180. When I top up £10.00 @ £1.32 a liter I only get 40 miles on city driving when its quite so not much sitting in traffic. I changed oil the other day & it was think & black. my next step is to change the spark plugs & fuel filter.

Its showing up as 24mpg on the MPG calculator where it should be 36mpg. what else can I do to fix this?

All filters, air, fuel, spark plugs, stock induction piping ON (Makes major difference i'm afraid, like frank said before though, optimised for grunt inc economy.)

I recon 400 miles out of a full tank should be easy, and i've been revving the nuts off her today, with not so big fuel drops (New spark plugs after 11 years, but the old ones where NGK-R's, and still in great condition when i fully clean them!!)

13-14 inch wheels, could these make a difference, weight and turning power may help here!

Eco driving tip: No electronics or anything on during cold start, use the car very gently until temperature gage is half! Then start using heating etc, i found this somewhat impacted me quite a bit, but i have whiny pulleys so resistance could be issue for me :).

Back