False floor etc...

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
I will shortly be replacing my rear seats with a false floor, but am unsure what wood to go for - MDF or plywood, which is lighter? Or is there a better option? I probably won't be losing a lot of weight (if any) doing either, I know, but I just want it to look smart and not be overly weighty. What should I use?

Aiming for this - http://micra.com.au/images/ciscos-k11s/blue-monster/cargo-tray.jpg

Also, I want to have a partition roughly where the upright bit of the rear seat is now, full of holes and covered in acoustic carpet to hide my speakers etc.

Tom

Use MFD, thats what NeX used and his works really well, I'll put a pic of that up sometime unless he can. I'm doing the same in mine.

Birch ply is lighter and stronger than MDF for the equivalent size, so you can get away with reduced thickness and therefore less weight. The problem is the cost, its usually at least double that of MDF! MDF is pretty heavy as its rather dense (literally sawdust and glue), I know as I have a rather large custom dual ported 12" subwoofer box in my K11 boot, and it took 2 people to lift it in!

If you want something that does the job and is cheap and cheerful, go for MDF :), 10mm should do it.

9mm plywood will be fine, strong enough and not that heavy...dont go to B&Q for it though, try a place like jewson as its much cheaper

av just finshed mine
used 8mm mdf quite strong but not 2 heavy, got it from bnq, a got 2 off cuts for £14
a covered it with autoleads carpet from halfords was spot on like
got 1photo of 1st bit complete on me blog
all put some more up tomorrow mate !

but if you do that it will be very difficult to get to the spare wheel and
that m8

nah it will just lift up...richmicratwisa and alienfish (same fasle floor) was all one, and that just lifted in and out really easy, looked awsome...best false floor ive ever seen in a k11. only sold for £20 aswell!

altough not sure it would go well in mine, for one ive got 4point harness, so would need a cut out in the floor so my harness would clip in. so dont think it would work unless i just had the standard belts and seats.

ahh rights yeah would look mint a suppose m8
a just done mine in 2parts like
looks abit bare though so wanna put summit in to fill the space up lol

Still going with this idea, would there be any way to hide the sub? So far I have boarded the boot area and mounted the amp, but don't feel confident enough to remove the seats and finish it off as the sub will be on show?

I can't think of a way to hide it, so might just stick to boarding the boot and making a decent job of the parcel shelf

Tom

Sub is a Fli Trap 12 enclosed thing, and no, I'm no joiner. I usually cover my bad woodwork in carpet though! lol

What of your false floor? No I didn't take any, and you've taken the LX to work so I can't take any now :p

ooh yea and i do have my camera about 1 foot away from me lol

meh i will do it when i get home lol

i got better pics of it all clean, and pics of the bottom too,

lol you got so many cars your loosing track of which one your using!
Surprised you ever know which one to look for in a car park lol

lol you got so many cars your loosing track of which one your using!
Surprised you ever know which one to look for in a car park lol

lol no i have a system, i take the one on the end and then shuffle them all forward, friday is Lx day lol

I thought the system was take whichever one doesn't have a flat battery?

haha, sometimes it is lol

i thought you had done a guide Nex?

i was going to do one with mesuments and everything but i lost my bit of paper! tho it was crap anyway some were in CM and some in MM lol

but there was a kinda blog on cisco's site

Nah NeX forgot to take pictures while making it iirc so we'll probably do a guide when we make mine.

i have some pics of it in progress, but not all the details...

do you wanna do that on Sunday too? get in early? if you can get the wood, i may have some carpet left too, and we have a nice indoor place to work instead of having to run back to the house every time a bit needs to come off lol...

plus i have some improvements that need to be done, there are a couple of flaws in my design so mine wouldn't be good for a guide anyway.

do you wanna do that on Sunday too? get in early? if you can get the wood, i may have some carpet left too, and we have a nice indoor place to work instead of having to run back to the house every time a bit needs to come off lol...

plus i have some improvements that need to be done, there are a couple of flaws in my design so mine wouldn't be good for a guide anyway.

That sounds like a plan mate, I will talk to you tomoz about it. Don't worry too much about carpet as I want it in black anyway and theres no hurry to get it carpeted.

here is the one i have in the Lx, it hides a mutant amp and some vibe kevlar components and their crossover networks as well as a pc fan to keep the amp cool and a fli trap active sub to finish it all.

the whole lot is designed to lift up but also to be very hard core, i have had engines in the back of the car and it takes the weight, also the sub is very quick to remove using a PC power connector as a plug mounted flush into the floor.

the windows are also tinted to hide the sub and the vibe speakers are hidden when the seats are back

Attachments

• (R)SP_A0035.jpg
    (R)SP_A0035.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 253
  • lx1-(2).jpg
    lx1-(2).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 254
  • SP_A0026.jpg
    SP_A0026.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 271
  • SP_A0032.jpg
    SP_A0032.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 250
so what wood do i need to buy tomorrow morning then. MDF sheet and what size is the reinforcement under it?

I've seen subs mounted arse out before....never seen components like that though!!!

well i was going to mount them normally but there wasn't enough space, but they seem to work fine enough, good all round sound from the whole lot really

so what wood do i need to buy tomorrow morning then. MDF sheet and what size is the reinforcement under it?

IIRC it is 10mm MDF and 2 inch pine reinforcement, but if you are still up for coming to trobridge with me at 12ish, then we can go up to homebase later and i will point out the same stuff i got

Back