Fair price? Weak spots? Need some advice....

Hello everyone!

Today I met a guy who is going to sell Nissan Micra K10 automatic, which seems to be a perfect car for a student. The car ran for 51.000km / 32.000 miles and is supposed to cost ~500€ (435 pounds).

Now I've got a few questions:
  • Is the price fair?
  • Which spots of the car should I check for rust? Where are the weak spots? (I'm having some concerns about the automatic gearbox.)

Any advice is really appreciated.

Sills and wheel arches are the main places to look for rust on any Micras, as are the suspension mounts. But it sounds like it hasn't done too many miles, so probably won't be that bad if it's been looked after

oooo that a good price :) and automatics are such easy cars to drive lmao :p yer as daniel said check wheel arches and on mine ive spotted a hole i need to patch u wanna get propa under the car and make sure ur exhaust has no holes aswel dont forget to do the old kick of the tyres and the stand and look at nothing makes them think that u know what your doing XD:grinning:

makes them think that u know what your doing XD
Well, the guy selling me the car does not seem to know what he is doing. Did not even know about the engine size etc.

I've got one more question, regarding the automatic transmission: I read on the internet that is is not an "ordinary" automatic but more like a kind of torque converter / fluid coupling, which is was not common for cars at that time. How likely is this thing going to die? Is it easy to maintain?

The k10 has a traditional torque converter, hydrolic valve operated gearbox (the same technology as used by Mercedes and nearly ALL automatics of THAT time). It has no know problems, is a very strong and reliable unit, and is an absolute pleasure to drive. The car is underpriced and should be advertised for around £550 if it is clean and solid. The CVT gearbox was only used on the k11 micra, and is a complete bag of ####.

k10 automatics are fantastic and will run forever if looked after.

I bought the car today, going to pick it up tomorrow. I actually paid only 425€ / 375£, the owner really did not know anything about is stepmother's car...

I was able to look at the car form below today, no rust at all. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the car.

Guys, thanks fot the quick advice here :)

Back