Faint smell of petrol

well what the title says really, iv noticed a distinct but faint petrol smell when im driving, its there in all driving conditions, not just when the young mad lad comes out in me and i 'sharply' accelerate ;)

what can be the cause (if any)

also, i dont know if its related or not, but recently when im pulling away the car seems to be dieing on me. but its fine after a few minutes. any one care to guess whats up?

oh the car is a m reg k11, 76 k miles, needs the exhaust doing, and one of the cv joint gators.

Have you fitted a new air filter lately, cos a blocked filter can cause the car to use more fuel and it will stink, it will also leave it down on power.

another possibility is the flexible hoses attached to the fuel filter being damaged

From what you say, it sounds like you can spell the exhaust blow. Exhaust fumes can contain unburnt fuel, depends where its blowing really but thats probably what you can smell.

I'd get it sorted soon as if you can smell the exhaust when you drive the car, chances are you are inhaling some of the nastier gasses from the exhaust like CO. It doesn't smell of anything but is pretty good at killing people.

Back