f1000 - Need extra power

Hi All

Need to improve performance of my 1996 Rally Car. It has a standard 1.0lt original engine with:

Peter Lloyd exhaust
Matt Humpries Induction with K&N filter
NGK BKR5E - 11 plugs

Body can have a little bit more lightning, but I know that compared to some of my counter parts it is power that is lacking. I was wondering if it is allowable to change to the coil pack set up under f1000 regs. I noticed that that version produces an extra 6 bhp, so will this upgrade alone do that. If not has anyone any idea's to what will increase engine performance and stay f1000 legal.

Peter

Hello Peter

Do you have a set of F1000 regs you could post up?

I'd suggest a flywheel lightening to begin with but I'm not sure if that's legal?

i doubt if it is legal peter "a later engine from an earlier model" and you would need the loom and ecu etc
headskim and cam dialing would be 1st on the list, and the 1.0,s usually grossly overfuel at high rpm

Thanks Skinner/Frank

I have attached reg's, and unfortunately lightning isn't allowed. I have asked the Chairman of F1000, about the coilpack, but still waiting to hear. Certainly will consider headskim and cam dialing. I don't want to flaunt the regs, but would hate to be the one who isn't doing what they can around them.

Attachments

• Championship-regs-2015-Senior-tar-final.pdf
    591.8 KB · Views: 427
yes those are the ones i was going by peter, you can bet that the other drivers have "at least" the max 25" thou headskim, and are are running near zero valve clearance and dyno dialed valve timings.
and a rising rate fuel reg that irons out the a/f/r anomalies

Sounds good to me. Looka like I might get a spare head and get it skimmed, but will have to see how to get the rest done, since the rest is beyond me.

i,ve got plenty of valve shims if you want to blueprint mate (ie, get the valve clearances spot-on and minimum spec) as for dialing the cams and setting the a/f/r,s, you can road test 3rd gear pulls with a wideband sensor and a stopwatch :)

Hi Frank

I have just read an old article showing on the Micra.com.au website and saw you mentioned Bromsgrove! and www.hLmtuning.co.uk. Do you reside there? I live in Fairfield Bromsgrove.

Regarding your previous email I must admit I don't understand a lot of it shims, blueprint, dialing the cams, a/f/r,s. It all sounds very technical, my father runs Bayliss Garages Ltd in Smethwick doing MOT's and servicing so doesn't tackle much tuning. He can get a replacement head and get it skimmed but I think I need to follow a step by step guide in how to do this work or find someone who specializes in it.

I heard from the f1000 chairman and he said:
"It's important to have a progressive torque curve as Micras can suffer from a mid range hole.
First areas to have a look at I suggest make sure rear suspension isn't too stiff and brake balance is crucial."

I don't know if this "mid range hole" is cured by your ideas and regarding brake balance, my Micra is lowered by around 30-35mm springs, would I still need to use a Brake Bias Valve, or is adjusting the rear brake pressure regulating valve sufficient?

Sorry to ask but have found your advice and others very useful, especially since I am no mechanic (NHS Manager/cabinet maker) but like to rally and give things a go like building the rally car.

Regards

Peter

that was referring to a group dyno session in bromsgrove i guess peter :) i live in B43
and yes you can easily develop a massive flatspot in the midrange when you alter the intake setup (aftermarket air filter etc)
my stopping distance improved markedly when i removed the stock brake bias valve
as for the shims, they are graded in size and are selected so that you have a running clearance on the cam lobes, and optimising that clearance gives gains
dialing the cams will correct the timings of the valve events (due to chain stretch/wear over time)

What I did with mine I got a low mileage distributor engine £90 from a scrappy, skimmed the head by 25thou as per the regs. Vortex exhaust system is probably one of the best you can have for a micra, I would save up for one of those if I were you. Group A air box, good rolling road set up and we had 57 at the wheels and almost 70 at the flywheel. See some people having 80 out of them but pretty crazy to do without spending a lot of money and time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back