High idle and power issues...

Having a few issues with the old girl at the minute... Seem to have sorted everything else but this just isn't shifting...

Well, started to have an issue when I first started her up, she seemed a bit reluctant or a bit slow on the idle. Also, she just doesn't seem to have the power she once had? I've just given the car a full service, new oil & filter, new sparks, new air filter and new petrol filter... Even flushed the cooling system and re-filled with fresh coolant.

I've read enough on here to suspect the throttle body may need cleaning. Not feeling confident enough to take it to bits and also not having a new gasket I tried cleaning it as best I could in situe with carb cleaner.

Now though, she still lacks power but on start up she seems to be over idling? This continue when driving, like as I'm slowing down to stop she idles really high for a few seconds before calming down? Again, she is defo lacking power and if I'm doing 60 she makes a hell of a noise which she never used to do even at 80!?

Any ideas? I also intermittently get the engine management light flashing on when starting from cold (only happened twice I think so far) but that started when I tried to remove the heat sheild from the manifold so I think that can be attributed to the sensor being knocked or loosened or whatever?

Any ideas guys?

camoxodka

car half done :)
for the idle problem i think that you just need to tweak the idle, that is what pollyp done to my car because it was idle really badly, so pollyp p connect my micra to a computer to check if i was the idle and it was, it was well out :/ but with the power lose i can't help u sorry. but i am not sure what he done because after he messed around with the car and i took it for a drive the idle was mint.

I think it depends on age, i changed the MAF sensor which was about 12 quid iirc, i have a 2000 model and the MAF is seperate to the throttle body and a quick change with 2 screws. I think on the older model it may be a part of the throttle body but i cant confirm that.

I think it depends on age, i changed the MAF sensor which was about 12 quid iirc, i have a 2000 model and the MAF is seperate to the throttle body and a quick change with 2 screws. I think on the older model it may be a part of the throttle body but i cant confirm that.

I'd consider two things.

1. The wax stat likes to stick this causes a fast/high idle
2. The ICV valve can get gummed up again causes a problem.

Both of which @pollyp could link in guides for, in the middle of restoring this computer atm.

pollyp

Club Member
I'd consider two things.

1. The wax stat likes to stick this causes a fast/high idle
2. The ICV valve can get gummed up again causes a problem.

Both of which @pollyp could link in guides for, in the middle of restoring this computer atm.

How to clean & configure the Idle Air Control Valve & idle bleed screw with Nissan Datascan