Driving me nuts!!

Got a squeak coming from the rear left side and clearly a suspension issue so had a look and noticed one of the shocks leaking slightly,so I've replaced both rear as I thought this wood maybe cure the irritating noise! But still the squeak is there as I'm driving along. Could this be any of the bushes or the spring that has split and rubbing together ? Either way need to fix it because it's driving me nuts!!
Anyone had a similar problem or have any clue what it could be ?

Cheers Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine used to have a rear left knocking when the rear suspension was going over a bump or uneven camber roads/alleys.

turned out to be a loose rear trailing arm bolt

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-104#post-659834

dsc09038-jpg.28263

replaced the bolt and was quiet.

check all fasteners, bushes, interior panels (preferably with passenger) for the source of the noise

Thanks pollyp it's probably something and nothing but going to go over that rear corner with a fine tooth comb until I find it. Funny how over time a noise can grate on you and easy to presume its a big part when like you pointed out actually could just be as simple as a seized bolt! Thanks for the info.

@pollyp would you describe this noise as a popping sound not so much a knock but like when you pop a dent out of a panel I thought mine was trailing arms but now im not sure...

Like someone tapping a section of the chassis lightly with a small hammer due to the bolt rattling n banging within the bolt hole when the arm was loaded over a bump.

Like someone tapping a section of the chassis lightly with a small hammer due to the bolt rattling n banging within the bolt hole when the arm was loaded over a bump.
Hmm could be mine ill have to check them properly on my days off.
Is it a case of retighten of did you replace buddy?

I tried retightening but it had ran for afew years in loose state before fully seizing to the bush, so no amount of tightening the nut would ever tighten the head end, hence it still knocked and ended up cutting n replacing the bolt.

I tried retightening but it had ran for afew years in loose state before fully seizing to the bush, so no amount of tightening the nut would ever tighten the head end, hence it still knocked and ended up cutting n replacing the bolt.
Actually I remember reading this in your blog... ill have a look cheers Paul!

Try recreating the knocking noise (I happened to have found mine when rolling the car from my back alley onto the cambered street road which loaded the susp) then inspect/listen n locate the noise preferably with engine off.

Try recreating the knocking noise (I happened to have found mine when rolling the car from my back alley onto the cambered street road which loaded the susp) then inspect/listen n locate the noise preferably with engine off.
I can recreate the noise by compressing the front drivers side suspension... tried having a look the other day with chloe compressing but cant put my finger on what it is.

mine did that too.

try rocking the front right with the rear swaybar n dampers n panhard detached to eliminate them.
peak underneath with torch around the joints looking/hearing for loose bolts while chloe & co bounces the front right vigorously. if its too low to get under, put the rear axle on stands or wheels on ramps.
if it still knocks, then it's prob something with the rear joints.

The noise I have is defiantly a squeak! Rather than a knocking and fairly high pitched, Plus it sound more like rubber on rubber rather than metal if that makes sense..not had chance to investigate further yet but will be doing soon. Just put it through an mot an passes no probs so happy iv got another 12 month ticket.

Just don't believe it! Finally traced the source of the irritating noise..could kick myself! Well it's not mechanical or suspension related.
On the underside of the boot lid in all four corners there are 4 little screw in grommets that when closed stop the boot rubbing on the body of the car. Traced the noise to these little fellas as they are rubbing on the body when closed and creating the squeak! Took them all out and noise went away. Can't believe how ridiculous this is but glad iv dealt with it for my own OCD!!
3ahyvu5a.jpg
9a9ahate.jpg
dehaty5u.jpg

Oooo thank goodness :) nothing worse than irritating noises when driving :) amazing what the small things do :) glad you solved It! X

you might lose the squeak but gain a rattle with those adjustable rubbers removed, i would set reset the heights and lube the contact face personally :)

Yeah frank,forgot to mention tried that with some gt85 but still made the noise so put a dab of grease on instead. Think long term solution I might try the little fabric pads you stick under table and chair legs to stop scratching floors

the adjustable rubber stoppers are suppose to try n push the boot outwards against the latch which tries to keep it shut. the two parts pushing against each other keeps the mechanism tight n reduces rattling.

if it still rattles when the rubber is fully extended, try moving the latch loop lower down and try adjusting again

the latch loop is riveted to the mounting plate which can loosen over time n rattle. I hammered mine snug

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-104#post-659287

Pollyp thanks for that, noticed one of the little adjustable rubber screw/grommet is split so wouldn't be doing its job. Going to replace it and try what you say with the latch. Can't rest until there is silence! :-/

Frank and pollyp, just tried what you said by adjusting the top screw in rubbers. Unscrewed them about half way and now the boot shuts nice and tight with no rattle or squeaking at all, completely silent when driving! Such a simple easy fix that took some working out. Unbelievable ;-)

Back