DIY Tracking

As some of you might now I got some new wheels on my car lately. To accommodate the wheels under the arches some front negative camber was needed, but by doing this the tracking went of. The front wheels are leaning inwards quite badly and i got the feeling they are fighting against each other. I have phoned up several tyreshops and garages, but they refuse to do that due to the camber and lowering. Is there any DIY solution? thanks

Bud, give me until tomorrow and Ill grab some details. I know there are semi local places that do tracking for Skylines so a lowered micra shouldnt be an issue

Well the light is normally a straight line off the fronts. and if you have camber it'll be ####ed lol

Well that place is called:
Ad Autotechnik Ltd

Unit 51c Hobbs Industrial Estate, Newchapel, Lingfield, RH7 6HN

Tel: 01342 837083

Tried phoning them but got a busy line.

I'll need to get this done too one day

So if you have camber then the machine doesn't work?

Or there needs to be a big enough arch clearance to get the machine hooked on?

What about cars that get natural camber when you lower them like BMW e30,or even corsa's I believe?

Are they screwed aswell then?

tyre places used to always put too much toe-in when i changed my first tyres n got it aligned, which caused em to wear very quickly and it always drifted to the left. so instead of shelling another few quid for a dodgey work i decided to get a gunson trakrite alignment tool for £50 and do it myself.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/gunson-g4008-trakrite-wheel-alignment-gauge

i simply place on flat road, cruise over it with either front wheels and it measures the amount of shearing between the left/right wheel. adjust the trackrod ends till mines at 0 toe, drive down road to check it travels straight when the steering wheels straight, re-adjust both trackrod ends till steerings straight, done. no more rapid tyre wear and steerings dead straight.

tyre places used to always put too much toe-in when i changed my first tyres n got it aligned, which caused em to wear very quickly and it always drifted to the left. so instead of shelling another few quid for a dodgey work i decided to get a gunson trakrite alignment tool for £50 and do it myself.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/gunson-g4008-trakrite-wheel-alignment-gauge

i simply place on flat road, cruise over it with either front wheels and it measures the amount of shearing between the left/right wheel. adjust the trackrod ends till mines at 0 toe, drive down road to check it travels straight when the steering wheels straight, re-adjust both trackrod ends till steerings straight, done. no more rapid tyre wear and steerings dead straight.

thanks a lot pollyp, that does help a lot

You can measure the the distance between the back of the front wheels and the front of the front wheels... 0 toe would make them even. Can be done with a piece of string and something to mark up the wheels / string with so youre measuring in the same place all the time as you adjust and recheck. Just make sure your steering is straight before you start haha.

Good if its gonna be a while and you need to use the car.

You can measure the the distance between the back of the front wheels and the front of the front wheels... 0 toe would make them even. Can be done with a piece of string and something to mark up the wheels / string with so youre measuring in the same place all the time as you adjust and recheck. Just make sure your steering is straight before you start haha.

Good if its gonna be a while and you need to use the car.

thanks. i think ill go for the free option :D

lol thats the same reason i used it, that and you cant get anything over my front wheels :D

a couple of peices of sheet metal greased up (metal - grease - metal), or thick plastic bag (depending on the road surface) etc etc with let you swivel the wheels easier, wok lids and similar also work haha. Tbh thats not really needed though.

the camber shouldnt affect the tooling used to do tracking ive done loads of old style beetles and campers with massive amounts of camber

You can do ghetto tracking quite effectively with two axle stands (or similar) and a long piece of string, place the first axle stand in front of the offside tyre, tie the string to the stand then walk round the car positioning the string on the middle of the rear wheels. and back to the front of the car on the nearside and tie it onto the other axle stand, with the steering wheel ligned straight ahead position the string so it rubs on the outer edges of the front tyres, if you look at the front wheel rims you will see how far out the tracking is and adjust it accordingly, it wont give you exact results but will give you a near enough result.. until you can get it done propperly..

Sorry if this makes no sense..

Back