viscous verdict

cisco

» CMF Member
So what's the RS5F31V viscous LSD gearbox setup like in a turbocharged micra?

I've had enough time to fully evaluate it now, so I thought I would post my honest gut feeling impressions of how it performs.

I would sum it up as this:

• In the wet threshold before wheel slip is moderately improved. This can be noticed reasonably easily.
  • 1st gear launch ability is fractionally improved. Nothing spectacular, but it does get off the line a tad better than previously. 2nd gear traction honestly doesn't seem any better to me.!
  • Exiting corners: This is where the VLSD really seems to excel. Whichever way you are pointing when you hit the throttle it just locks and off you shoot in that direction rather than the inside wheel doing a burnout. This is a great advantage of the VLSD.

Besides those points, I wouldn't rave about it comapred to the previous single spinner setup. I can notice the higher threshold before the wheels spin a bit. The thing that smacks you in the face is how it pulls so hard when exiting corners. Apart from that, its honestly not a huge black and white difference like you might have thought.

I can still put my foot to the floor and light up the wheels all the way through second gear if I choose to. Yes I'm running garbage tyres and maybe the camber could be flattened out a bit more, but I had these same tyres and camber settings before the VLSD went in. So I'm measuring the difference pretty fairly.

One key thing I think is: The VLSD still has a slip threshold. I.e. with enough torque it will induce slip anyway. I think that's one issue with my car. Its putting a fair bit of power through it, I think for example in 2nd gear when my wheels are spinning, that it even possibly could be just one wheel if the VLSD is slipping due to too much torque.

Yeah I'm glad I got it because it handles better and pulls harder. But its not the super perfect solution to getting off the line like a 4WD kind of thing.

I think installation of the NISMO mechanical diff centre would remove the slip threshold that the NISMO diff has built into it. I think the mechanical centres are a lot more hardcore. I might get around to trying that one day, but they're not cheap.

Hope this is useful for anyone considering tracking one down.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Thanks for the update Cisco. Been wondering how it was going now that Bluey is at full bore.
Hmmm think I will wait a while before fitting an LSD of any sort. Other things I want to do before this.
Oh Whitey still not on the road. Major upgrade of the dizzy happening.With the Autronic current dizzy not compatible.
Have purcased a new trigger ( chopper) disc and we are going to install 2 Bosch double ended coil packs.
This will then handle anything we can throw at it down the track. Autronic have the above bits as add ons so all will be sweet.
Slowly but surely and want to make sure we do it right first time up.

CMF_ayat

» CMF Member
im still waiting to see how my car handles with the ap sure track limited diff (tourque-bias-lsd), i dont think it will help launching the car but for powering through corners like u said, only way for that would be traction control (very expensive), still havent car back because of difficulty manipulating the timing for some reason, cos of too many devices, boost controller, additional injector controller, and unichip. when one is changed it messes up the other two, hopefully will be resolved soon

cisco

» CMF Member
Good luck with it white knight.

The VLSD seems best around corners. Seems to lock and pull you straight ahead. But in a straight line off the mark, I don't think its much better - nothing huge anyway.
Even when launching around a corner, it seems I can use first gear more thesedays. Yeah I wouldn't worry about getting one too much until you'd done all the other stuff. And even then, probably the NISMO mechanical LSD sounds like it would be truly worthwhile.

cisco

» CMF Member
http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=33963&highlight=clutch+pedal+vibration

This guy talks about after he's installed his LSD.

They sound great for pure traction, but the remove some of that nice smooth drivability that you get with the things that NISSAN have carefully planned and designed themselves to release to the masses such as the VLSD. I also don't want to place my 31v box, CV joints and clutch at risk of having too much load. The nice thing about the VLSD having deliberate slip after x Nm is that is ensures that it doesn't load up too much. They must have designed the exact threshold for the slip to occur at.

I don't think I will go the full hog and install the NISMO unit. I think some good tyres are in order, and with that, bluey should be pumping.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Hey Cisco everyones no's the blue monster could kill that time you did the other night but was is the objective?

If you want to drag race go stiffer rear springs and slicks with more boost you would do 12s, but you would not power through corners like now and you would not take off like now.

Personally i would just get some slicks go out to the strip put in some good times than return it to as was before.

A question mate how do the Toyota Starlet boys keep the power down theres is some bloody quick one's getting around up here, do they have a different front end setup than the Micra?

Back