Blastin' past them

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
ust a word or warning with the 205's i not sure what the 'good' width rim is but i thought wider = better on mine and it turned out worse on my 6" rims as the tire to too wide.

i got these results from the tyre calcultor on the tyre bible page, your rims are 6.5 if i remember correctly?

195/45R15.......ideal rim witdth 6.5x15 upto 8x15

195/50R15.......ideal rim witdth 5.5x15 upto 7x15 (That's the GIII's evade has, looks ideal for 6.5" rims)

205/50R15.......ideal rim witdth 5.5x15 upto 7x15

hmmmm, well its the other way around there, my little 14's>
195/45R14.......ideal rim width 6.5x15 upto 8x15

...and i have 14x6" rims, heh > i think that's why they suddenly/unexpectedly feel like their about to roll off the rim midway through heavy cornering, very scarey.

...i reckon the sidewall on the 205/50 is going to look weird on such a little car with 15's though, may look like big sedan wheels,

Alex

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
heh my mate runs 205/50 and has also run 195/50 on his crx and you cant even tell the difference really

don't look that different at all..sidewall wise and stuff

i'd think it'd be ok..my 195's look really fat on my wheels atm..which are 6.5 i think

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah if they fit I'll throw them on.
They will certainly look weirder than 195/45s, but at least they will grip and allow me to get a decent selection of tyres. I.e. Potenza GIIIs are much better than NEXEN/Nankang random 2-dorra tyres. bahah.

Going out to pump my tyres back up to 34-6psi right now also. Be nice to get some steering feel back hah.

CMF_w8upforme

» CMF Member
Not a lot of tyrechoice in Australia then??
There is quite a lot of choice here in europe in the 195/45 15" size, Toyo, Yokohama, Michelin Bridgestone well probably every company has a tyre in that size on offer..

Don't understand why you're not having the same choice in Australia???

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah it sucks. We are pretty remote and miss out on a lot of good stuff sometimes - just depends on what it is. With other things, we do really well like programmable ECUs for example - the best ones are made here.

195/45/15 only seems to be available in about 3 different brands here. The decent ones are Michelins and they are now $305 per tyre! ouch.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
I think it comes down to the amount of small cars we have available in Australia aswell as the Scene with wheels as big as the cars.

If you check out a Max Power magazine you'll see the amount of small cars that they have available and that we don't.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yep. And hence the huge amount of tyres and parts available for large cars here. And hence all the large cars and saturation of 6s and v8s. Hopefully expensive fuel prices will boost the small car scene.!

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Mate i remember buying my first turbo car in 1995 a Ford Lazer TX3 1990 4wd turbo, and back then "TURBOS ARE SO UNRELIABLE" was said buy all and there was stuff all available in the small car market that was a well equiped car that was quick but still good on fuel.

We had just started getting all that Korean crap that was real cheap and the good cars we had like Micras where deleted.

And now today look around and you see as many small cars as big, And sales are getting closer than ever before..

CMF_bigdook

» CMF Member
Cisco,

I have the GIII's on the Mazda and I wouldn't rave about them. They wear a bit better than my previous Yokohama's but have not got the same level of grip. I probably would buy them again based on the performance vs. price .

I too changed size based on limited choise in factory sizing, mine was 195/50/16 but went to 205/50/16 and now have a huge choice range. And the sidewall factor is nto a big issue.

Dook

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
Cisco,
I had Yokohama 195/45 539's on 15x6.5s, they were good but didn't last long. I replaced them by 195/50 539's, they lasted much longer (50% more k's) but I wasn't thrilled by their performance- too much side wall flex I think. Recently I changed to 16's with 195/45s Pirelli P zeros, well priced $200 each (the same price as the 195/45/15 Yokahamas), but much better grip. Also since fitting the I have lowered the micra even more and I don't have any scraping problems. The only downside is marginal speedo error (roughly 5-6%).

Back