distributor cap removal

I've just bought a new dizzy cap and trying to fit it and having some problems..

I got the screws out but cant get the cap out there is not enough room to get it out.

Do I have to take off the actual distributor to get the cap off?:wasntme:

Hey Frank thanks for replying.

Theres a little plastic box on the right of it (with writing on it) i cant get it out but looks like it may be a fuse box or similar?) Thats in the way of me getting the cap off.

Im looking for my cam to take pics of it but seem to have misplaced the bloody thing (typical)

you could unhook that fusebox MQ, but you should,nt need to really, you could pull the 4 HT leads off the cap first if its too tight (you,re best to mark their order/position clearly first tho :eek:)

Hi Frank

You were totally right, it did come out without me removing the fuse box or wire.

I was being a bit overcareful with it but when I used a bit more force it came out no problems, have now switched it for the new one.

Many thanks for your help with this.

You are a star!:blues:

Ps. I was careful to make sure I put the right wire in the right place. But just out of curiosity, what owuld happen if the wires were in the wrong place? I'm not going to do it, but just trying to learn a bit as I go along :suspect:

the leads are set to the firing order MQ (1342, anticlock) so if you switch any around the cylinder wont fire :eek:

urm......

ive measured the 3 hex bolts as 5.5mm........... i dont have a 5.5mm socket :( :( :( i cant get mole grips on the bolts. have also tried imperial spanners but nothing seems to work..... do i just need to buy a 5.5mm spanner?

cheers pollyp. i tried that but because the fuse box is in the way i can only get a small screwdriver in there. The bolts seem very tight. I don't want to round them by doing it badly. if i use a small screwdriver, i cant get the necessary force to break the stiff thread.

i always just mark the dizzys position then unbolt it from the head for much easier access

if you want better access, battery relocation FTW lol :grinning:

Attachments

• SDC11728.JPG
    SDC11728.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 2,362
Back