cylinder head prob

phoned afew local machining shops but said its tricky as the thin shims would tend to pop off the grinding table.

phoned Humphris dealership but they only have two in stock, 1 within March, and rest is back ordered and they cost round £6 each plus delivery from oxford.

so i'm gona settle with ordering 14 shims from me local nissan dealers this weekend at £5 each (£70 total). reckin i have to fork me cash out again.

I had a quote for having shims made by a local head tuning garage to fit fast road cams.

And to put it simply, it was expensive very, about £10 per shim, mainly due to labour, the shims need to be hardened too

oh yess, my susp arms & track ends arrived last night :) fitted 1 track end but lower susp arm bolts would have to be angle grinded off.

hi here's an update.

ordered the new shims & new susp arm bolts from nissan 2 weeks ago, came to total of £90 with vat, ouch.

received me new susp & track rod off ebay
p1010128lo5.jpg

p1010129bs7.jpg

in trying to force the susp arm bolt it seems that the bolt is seized solid to the inner rubber bush so it had to be grinded off.
i started by grinding the bolt head off.
p1010132ci4.jpg

still didn't budge so i cut the susp arm off the bush for more access
p1010134hf7.jpg

finally got the thing off
p1010135sk4.jpg

i had a little oops with the grinder, seems fine
p1010138fn8.jpg

new susp & track rod fitted :)
p1010139ef0.jpg

assembled the uprights. screwdiver holding the susp while i wait for the new bolts from nissan
p1010143qv2.jpg

yess the new bolts arrived and the full suspensions built now.
p1010145qs9.jpg

new bolt
p1010146du1.jpg

amazingly on saturday I decided to ring nissan bout if my parts arrived, and the guy sounded astonished cos the very moment I rang him, my invoice was just being printed on his machine :laugh:

installed the new shims and checked the clearances relative to the nissan spec. here's a graph of old vs new clearances.

notice the green & red line shows its now closer to the spec
clearancesoz3.jpg

checked compression and its now at 13-13.5 psi (green line)
compressioncz7.jpg

well, now all i do is just tack weld the thermostat together to run the engine and get a garage to spot weld me new front chassis on :)

so if i read the graphs right, it was better compression before the re-build!!!
spot welding the front panel on isn't essential, just hire a mig welder and simply tack it in place. the main structure of it bolts in place anyway. just tack it so it stays put, no need to keep it neat as it'll not be seen.

yea more compression beforehand, prob due to the amount of sooty crud that was round the pistons and valves providing more seal, but at least the misfiring's fixed now.

i'd better check out the cost of a simple spot weld down the local garage compared to hiring a mig weld which is prob £60 a weekend overall (inc mask n clothes).

tis just simply towin car to garage, drill off old frame, spot weld new one on, tow it back home. front end is all disassembled ready neway.

ah pants. i checked about weldin the thermostat together and the guy says it seems to be made of plated mild steel so after weldin it'll just rust at the first sign of water :(

bahh. waste of a £5 partco thermostat that's wrong spec.

neway i rang nissan and i'll get an official one on wed for £10

awriight
i picked up me new nissan thermostat tday for a tenner
p1010156cx9.jpg

installed & filled the system up
p1010158vg5.jpg

fired it up and it's alive!!:grinning:
Yea baby! running a lil quieter and the valve ticking noise is gone now.

just the front chassis to replace and i'll finally have my first car to drive.

Can I say how impressed I am of how far you've come with this car! I don't think i've seen such a complete rebuild since Ed brought an ST back from the dead!

PS Did you know the MSC is running a deal on official membership until the end of the month? ;) hehe

thx m8. i'm surprised myself that I might get this finished earlier than the planned april before my bday.

just afew minor bits left to do after i've done the chassis but overall the major difficult stuff is done.

major thanks to you james for helpin with the cylinder head:grinning:

the membership deals tempting :p dunno if i'll have enough after insurance, mot, tax, tyres, etc near skint.

elephant insurance quoted me £622 with £150 volutary for 10mth bonus accelerator, eek. although this is my first car and first insurance.

That's not bad for insurance on your first car and first insurance!

I paid £1080 for my K10 3 years ago with £400 voluntary!

ouch

btw in getting my car fixed at the local garage i originally thought about lettin em tow me car there with those trucks that lift both front wheels up but m8 said they're expensive.

he suggested me sister could tow me there with a rope. since the car's SORNed and not insured is that even possible?

also the crossmember is slightly bucklin from the jack so i question if it's even safe.

I don't think that's legal at all, it would need to have 2 wheels at least off the ground on one of those trailers with a holder for the front wheels

ooh i just had a thought bout why me exhaust used to smoke few minute after starting and i think it was cos of water in the backbox boiling off by the hot gases. when i took it out i remember hearin water sloshing around. all the liquid was sucked out eventually and could explain why its not smoking anymore.

Surely you can tell the differencve between smoke and steam?! Mind you so many people do this it amazes me!

yes
although mine wasn't like thick smoke that stays in air as in leaking coolant/oil being burnt. twas more similar to when ya kettle boils.
meh, tis fixed now.

hmm due to weather forcasts it looks like the chassis welding won't happen till early april, can only do it on saturdays see.

worked on me rear brakes tday.

took calipers n disc off but this right hand disc took more work as it was a little stuck on. wd40 & hammering helped.
p10101611gq9.jpg

on the back of the right disc i notice the built up rust which ate into the pads so only 3/4 of the surface was used to brake
p10101612je3.jpg

the outer pads alot thinner than the inner pads. maybe caused by the sticking guide pins prior to the project. so the inner pads use to retracted away nicely but the outer pads wold still be held against the disc by the seized guides therefore slowly wearing em away.
p10101613hn0.jpg

here's the inner pad where the top portion is notched from the rust on the disc.
p10101614lw5.jpg

the left disc seems ok
p10101615rz8.jpg

p10101617uh1.jpg

chipped the rust off the right disc. lil rough but better for the new pads i figure.
p10101619zc7.jpg

p101016110vw7.jpg

left mirror had a big crack so thats all epoxied together now.
p1010183mz2.jpg

p1010185uh8.jpg

btw i've also videoed the cars exhaust. vid1 is startup from cold and there's minimal smoke. vid2 is after 5mins once the engines up to temp and the exhaust begins to smoke, especially in vid3 when i rev it.
could you confirm my suspician that it's just water in the silencer?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I5MRBO0K

dont put new pads in with the rear disks like that! or you will just mess up the pads and they will be the same again

new rear disks are needed or get them skimed but the cost of skiming and buy new ones is so small you might aswell buy new off ebay or something

when ever you see rear disks going slighty rusty where the pads grip on the disk just drive and apply the handbrake once you twice and they should clean up and stop the build up you have there which means new disks

just looked at them vids, and the cars been standing and not driven for awhile, so all it probably needs is to be driven for a while to clear it out

can't find any bare micra rear disc at the mo although there's a set of disc&pads for £47 but'll give it a miss cos brakes work fine.

thx for the exhaust advise

ah heck. just transferring all the bolts from the old front chassis to the new chassis i discovered that the holes on the crossmember for bolting the PAS pipe bracket onto is missing the threaded bit that's usually welded from the inside, WTF did the manufacturer forget it? o_O what am i gona bolt this bracket onto now?

ah heck. just transferring all the bolts from the old front chassis to the new chassis i discovered that the holes on the crossmember for bolting the PAS pipe bracket onto is missing the threaded bit that's usually welded from the inside, WTF did the manufacturer forget it? o_O what am i gona bolt this bracket onto now?

Thats strange, when I did my micra that has PAS it was fine but probably depends on who and where you got it from

hmm i thought these threads woulda been fitted as standard.
it's near impossible to fit or even weld a nut inside so i think i'll try to pop rivet it on.

sand blast & painting my engine cover tday during lunch at work :)
some mask tape came off during blasting so have to clean all the sand out later.

You really really should NOT use those disks again. They are well beyond recovery economically. I mean look at the state of them. Throw them away and get new ones, they are terrible.

ta for info james. £225 for em cams! lol not on my budget.

yea Ed my rear right disc is in a manky but functional state. the bad face of the disc could be resurfaced couldn't it? (might as well do all four disc if i was).
you know any suppliers of rear discs if i go down the other route?..

ok i found a pair from Brakes International (where i got my new rear calipers too) for £45 inc vat.

here's a pic of the cover being painted. gorgeous
p1010187mg1.jpg

damn i made a right mess of my paintwork last night. i sprayed afew layers of hammerite cos some areas looked abit thin, then before bed i finished off with some laquer, BAD move.
this morning the laquer surface seemed fine but nudge it hard and the still soft paint underneath would come off like wet putty.
p1010193uu6.jpg

bah, gota blast it all of again grrr

does anyone know if the engine cover internals can be disassembled?

i got most the paint off now but from all that sand blasting there's some sand in the cover and prob clingin to the oily surfaces inside too.

i wanna take it apart to remove all sand inside but looks like the plate and cover r riveted & silicon sealed together.

can't get the plate off so instead i flushed the sand out as much as possible.

removed all paint, dried surface and now i'm slowly painting it again in thin layers.

p1010196dt3.jpg

the cover's finally painted red
p1010198ed5.jpg

here i carefully sanded each letter down looking sweet
p1010204wt3.jpg

installed it tonight and WOW it transforms the engine bay. mega impressed
p1010207hd7.jpg

ohh yes. i've finally arranged a body repair garage (K&P Andersons) to weld me front panel on friday so fingers XX it'll go fine. most of the garages i rang around here didn't do body repair and one told me to take the new panel there before quoting me (no thx m8, i needed this doin this week cos i only have saturdays free ya see)

i had to get friday off work cos they're only open weekdays but they can do the spotwelds like whenever, also align me steering and they can also tow the car there too.

hey

just keep ya updated bout the engine
now that the cars complete, i thought i'd do a compression test tday

drove it out the garage n removed the spark plugs. to my horror they all looked kinda sooty black n wet :eek: Oh my god please don't let it be a leakin piston ring cos that would be another long expensive job.

compression test showed cyl 1&4 is 14.5bar and cyl 2-3 is 13.5bar, large deviation there.

readin haynes manual it did say bring eng up to temp before the test, doh
so went up n down back alley to warm up engine and also test me abs :p

once hot i removed the plugs (ouch they're hot) and they look much much better, brown tan n clean.
compressions now improved, cyl 1-4 = 14.5bar and cyl 2-3 = 14bar

thank god for that

here's a graph of the engine compression history
untitled1copyqa8.jpg

note bout the test:
when i was crankin the eng, the compression gauge showed the cylinder only built up to full pressure gradually like after 3-4 strokes. 1st stroke is round 12bar, 2nd strokes round 13.2bar, 3rd stokes 14bar then 4th stroke at full 14.5bar

does that look normal?

......................................................................................................
omg guys i found the solution for my idle issue. maybe helpful for those who have fast idle when engines warm.

since i brought the car it always idles very slow from cold start at round 400rpm and once engine's warm it gradually rises up to 1000rpm, an idle rev range of upto 600rpm, no matter what the idle adjustment screw is set at (allen key screw at back of TB)

idle speed should be at 600-700rpm

- if i set the cold idle rev to 600rpm it would later rises upto 1200rpm
- if i set the warm idle rev to 600rpm, from cold the engine would barely sustain itself without pressin the acc pedal to help

the adjustment screw would usually be half-way out till i found this solution

neway
googlin around the fast idle issue, i noticed some pages mentioning problems with the idle speed control valve (that device at front of the TB)

back during overhaul i'd left mine on cos i could'nt get the tight screws off but since i've now got an impact screw driver i took the device out tday to inspect it

p4090275uz5.jpg

the TB housing

p4090276tq9.jpg

sure enough the valve has a slight carbon buildup which could've affected it's function

p4090277xf4.jpg

i unscrewed the plastic motor housing section from the valve end and turnin the valve by hand seemed lil stiff at first but soon loosened.

i proceeded to clean the valve surfaces so that it turns more freely, reassembled and reinstalled onto TB

the cold engine would normally start off slowly but with the same idle screw setting and the overhauled idle control valve the revs immediately went upto 1100rpm

so i screwed in the idle screw clockwise till it's all the way in (effectively closing that pathway and diverting all the air through the idle control valve)
started it up, it instantly revs to 1000rpm to warm the engine up then drops down to 600rpm and stabilizes

woohooo the engines runnin absolutely perfect now:grinning:

oh while i was taking the airbox out the pcv breather port broke off
p4090280ki3.jpg

so glued it back on, oops
p4090282gi1.jpg

on the AAC Valve if you put a multimeter across pins 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 both readings should be between 50-100ohms I had a fault with one of mine reading 104ohms and had idle problems

no, i meant do i do that multimeter test when the engines cold n not running :p

i would assume if the valve was disconnected the engine would run really slow? (cos the valve is in closed position by default)

with the engine off measure the resistance of the pins, takes 2 minutes to do. Unplug it and meter it.

It's just a check of the electronic circuit.

i'll try it tonight after i've returned from work at 6 and had a cruise (just taxed it tday).
then it's back to me bday party at 7.

also just got a parkin permit at work so i'ma drive to work for the first time (work m8's been givin me lifts since we began)

The AAC valves get carbon build quite quickly.....always worth taking it out on a service and giving it a good dose of carb cleaner just to keep things in check.

guys i've just done a fuel consumption test this week and my calcs show that it's only doin up to 25mpg? (19.85L took me 123miles)
that's with some urban driving and some 60mph backroads.
although this evening i had to kane it back to work cos forgotton to take book home.

does that look correct for a 1.3 92k engine? or is she drinkin loads

goin to work and back is bout 28miles = £3.85 a day
trains are £3.10 return
so it's cheaper by train?!

just been driving upto newcastle n back tday with family. gear knob is really annoying when in 5th cos it buzzes like hell, halfway through journey i screwed the ###### off but was tricky downshiftin with just a prickly threaded shaft. put it back on the way home but I constantly held onto the knob to stop vibration...i must replace it with a nissan rubber knob soon

the car struggles to reach 70 on flats and definately struggles for 60 uphill, floorin it does nothing except waste fuel.
she just has no more torque after 3k rpm

maybe the engine's just showin its age?

the car struggles to reach 70 on flats and definately struggles for 60 uphill, floorin it does nothing except waste fuel.
she just has no more torque after 3k rpm

maybe the engine's just showin its age?

you have serious problems if your 1.3 struggles to get to 70mph on flat road, i'd get a new engine!

seems a shame after all the work youve done but i think your engine is fubar

oh god i hope not. i'll stick with it for now, works ok for town and going to work. tis just that it's not feelin 100% on long cruises or maybe it's cos i'm only using 3/4 throttle. i dunno, it's early stages here.

btw when turning each wheel you could hear the brakes just touchin/scrapin the disc so they don't like turn really freely (brakes r not 100% retracted off the surface), could that have contributed to low mpg or is that the norm?

oh god i hope not. i'll stick with it for now, works ok for town and going to work. tis just that it's not feelin 100% on long cruises or maybe it's cos i'm only using 3/4 throttle. i dunno, it's early stages here.

btw when turning each wheel you could hear the brakes just touchin/scrapin the disc so they don't like turn really freely (brakes r not 100% retracted off the surface), could that have contributed to low mpg or is that the norm?

brakes will be ok aslong as the wheel spins freely not as free as when the pistons been pushed in but free not binding heavily

did you put new piston rings in? if so take the engine easy for 1000 miles ish to let the rings bed in you will start to see over a period of time the fuel economy going up closer to 1000 miles as they will have beded in.

my advice is to take it for a long drive say 200 miles to give it a good run

if it doesnt get better after you've done a fair amount of miles then start to look at possibably a mass air flow sensor, also it might be a good idea to get the ecu cleared at nissan like idle vol and self learning stuff since i doubt you've done that yet

wheels r moving, not heavy binding as you say, just the pads r touchin the surface, might regrease the guides sometime.

same piston rings, they were just cleaned n put back in. i fear that it maybe causing blow-by and losing compression hence HP under stress. could that explain the gradual (over 3-4 strokes) rather than instant peak pressure readings during the compression testing?

maybe i should try the "drip 5ml oil in cylinder" compression test procedure to verify a possible worn ring? (would burning the oil off be OK for the cat?)

omg it could mean another engine rebuild if it's true :eek:

ah damn

googled about on Blow-by and this was a pic of a blow-by piston. worn rings would allow gases to seep past and the soot would build up along the piston skirt as well as the piston crown.

piston1copyox7.jpg

which is what mine looked like when i first took em out.

another web also describes loss of HP and fuel economy, exactly what i'm experiencing.

grr shoulda kicked myself 2 months ago for not changin those rings back then :down:

if i take off the eng head would the gasket be reusable or should i buy a new one?

#gets out calculator#

any ideas how much a set of rings are? and would the bore need treatment?

feels as though i'm back to square oneo_O

my 1300 strugles at about 70 in 5th but if you go to 80-90 in 4th then change to 5th it pulls right up to an indicated 130

Back