crazy Swedes micra, Rwd

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
all the parts from chrome and "nickelcoating" home, wastegates assembled again today.

got the superS spoiler testmounted, ofcourse it willl be black later.

also manufactered a adaptor for ANfittings to oilcooler and olifilter.

vinge1.jpg

oljeadapter.jpg

delar1.jpg

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
wow this is insane! what a beast this is going to be, and such great progress on it too, well done!

glad to see someone doing something fun with the micra!!

where abouts are you in Sweden? i am in Gothenburg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hi9, sorry that i havent uppdated with any pictures lat weeks.

it is almost summer here now (atleast the snow is gone)

when the tarmac was visible again , my need for burning some rubber was to big.
so i have been buildng a new engine for my volvo, i have also helped my friend out building his car ready for first trackdays.

so the time (and money) have been a little problem,
and like if thet wasnt enoghd my 1st daughter was born about 2 weeks ago so i try to be at home a few days a week ,

i show some pictres on my and my friend volvos in the meantime...

i promise i will give you some nice pics on the micra during this week, some progres ofcourse...

this is my volvo 360 that i built last winter. it has a 2.3 litre engbine, 430hp and 650nm at 2 bar boost, pretty quick car anyway.
will be painted white in a few weeks,
motor12011.jpg

motor22011.jpg

20110414.jpg

here is my friends volvo 940.
the engine is a bmw m50b25 , only 1 bar boost for the moment and 6500 revlimit,
we wil change a few details and increase the boost to 2 bar and 8000 revlimit in a few weeks

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hi, finaly i remembered to take some pictures.

the engine and gearbox is only temperarly mounted.
as you can see cylinder nr 1 is actually in exakt line with the front axle, so all of the engine and gearbox weight is between front and back axle. perfekt for the weight distrobution

the clutch and flywheel is not really finisched so i will have to take it out once more again later .
but in the meantime i can atleast manufactor all the stuf for enginebay.

like steering pump and alternator mounts, fueldelivery hooses, intercoooler piping, coolingpipes etc etc.

in the back end i am not ready with the fuelcell yet. probobly i will finisch it in the weekend, its not much left to do exept fuelpump brackets ( i will have to mount fuelpumps directly on the outside of the fuelcell to save some space)

after that i can mount the backaxle again..

the goal is to have it ready to testadrive on the weekend 17-19 juny, it is a big trackday that weekend were i want to show it of. but to be honest i dont think i wil be able to start it up and get it tuned in before that, there is very short both for time and money.

probobly i will take it there but not driver it , just show it on the exhibition, and use the volvo 360 to drive on the track instead.

as i am planing it now i will try to finisch the micra, drive it a few times and then sell it in the end of the summer, i am looking at a new faster project for next winter...

201104141.jpg

201104142.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
as you can se, it it pretty much spring or early summer now...

first trackday for the volvo is 28 april...

i feel stressed about how much is left for the micra ... the dedline is still 16 june

the fueltank will prpbobly only be able to take 35-40 litres of fuel as it is now, if i move the fuelcap higher on the body it can take about 10-15 lires more, but that will be a later prolem, i need to get it running as soon as possible...

you can se the 3 bosch fuelpumps hangning under the fueltank, they are capable of delivering about 350hp each on ethanol,. so it sholud be enough , even if one brakes down during driving, i wont need to stop... only put it in low boost mode :)

uteiapril2.jpg

uteiapril1.jpg

also repainted the volvo today, not very "serious" but i hope it will look fine on the right distance ( that is like 100ft or so haha) '

lackad2011.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
yesterday i put my volvo out for sale.
hopfully i can get it sold easy so i can get the last money for the micraproject.

the plan is still to get it running to gatebil 16de june.

360paskhelgl2011.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
so i hacent got the volvo OR the impreza (that is also fr sale) out yet,
so i had no other option than to go to my boss and ask for a advance on my "holiday paymant"

i dont know if there is a actal word for that,
but anyway i have saved about 7 week of salary to use at summer, but i use it now a few months early to finisch up the micra

now the money is no more the big problem , now only time is a probleme.....

tha latest is, coolers, oilcooler and IC is mounted, i will fix Ic alu/silicon in the weekend....
watercoolers will b bought in next wwek an welded together.

i also have been away from home working extra with my friends F1 cars.

they had some problems solving with the new tractioncontol. proffessionals dont use tractionscontrol, but since these cars are for amature use, they need to be fitted with TC.
full throttle on first and second gear normally would spin the car out of track imidiatly ,
but with some tuning with TC8 it cuts out from a v8 engine to sound like a heavy dute boxer4 engine :)

not to sexy sound, but it will keep you on the track...

it is a similar system i will use on t¨he micra, only with more power AND ABOUT THE SAME WEIGHT :)

inredning1.jpg

fästen för IC och oljekylare klara , 4" ic och 32 raders oljekylare
intercooler1.jpg

this tyres is normally used on f1 cars as front tires.
they are a little to big for the micra in front, i will prpovboblöy use something like formula renault tires in front. they are about 650mm in diameter like the other wheels but 30mm narrower.

nyadack1.jpg

nyadack2.jpg

film of the f1 car after TC is mounted and tested :)

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Knotan, you are an absolute nut case. Both behind the wheel and the welder! I love it.
Well done on all the projects we have seen so far from you and your friends workshops. Keep up the great work and I wait with anticipation for the next update.

You simply must post video footage with good sound once the Micra is done! Out of interest, how much would you be looking to sell the Micra for once completed?

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hi, ofcourse i will post on youtube the same minute it is started :)

if you are intrested on more of the f1 cars i am involved in, there are some pictures and one more film from yesterday here.

here is a few more pictures from a few months ago. same cars but some things are changed.

http://www.projekteffekt.nu/media/?p=363

yes i (mostly) try to do my best building cars, the exeption are the volvo 360 that is built in a few months and is never ment to be a "seriuos" project, only to be rediciolus fast, both on road and on the track, withc is actually is....

if anyone would buy the micra today i would sell it for about 50-60.0000 swedish kronor, (about 9.000 aud)
when started and fully driving i would sell it for about 100.000 skr (about 15.000aud)

,... probobly it will sell to norway, the norweegians are crazy for projects like this hehe

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
engine out again to mount clutch and a few other small stuff.

about 45 minuters work to get it out. will probobly around one hour with al clables and coolingpipes mounted later.
thats pretty fair.
i will need to get motor out to adjust rockerarms probobly avery 4-500 km... :(

also intercoler pipes welded and polisched aluminum.
waterpipes welded and pickled in 35mm stainless.

motornur2.jpg

vattenror.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
3 disc tilton mounted and evertything should be god.
have measured clutch clearence and trowout for the release bearing and i hope it will be perfect.
7mm clerance and 19mm throw out. i will have to start the engine first before the final test.

also watercoolers is welded. using 2pcs volvo 740 turbo watercoolers, there will be a aluminium in 2mm in the back and using 2 psc volvo 850 coolingfans to suck air thru. they are very hiflow and about 420mm in diameter.

motorni.jpg

kylsystem3.jpg

CMF_micratech

» CMF Member
This is so exiting build I cant even explain.. THANK YOU for charing this abselutly mindblowing stuff with the community knotan!! Cant wait to see whats next. Quality build, this is what makes site legends..

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hi, thannx for responding, i am getting nervous nonone is reading the rhread with so few answers.
mayby it is my high tempo that is making people speechless??? :p

today my middle son has 3 year birthday so at the moment i am sitting home with my family, but later today i need to go to the garage and do some measurements for the 4 link, i am planing to order uniballs/ heim joints for the wishbones. i am getting a litle nervous becouse of the wrong angle of the rear axle pinion. i will need to raise it a few mm to get it right.

also need to measue and make a paper template for the cooling fans....

probpbly wont update any pictures today. but in the coming week i count of starting some serious assembly so keep looking for pic updates every night :)

i am hooping to get it started at least to be able to locate possible leaks from engine /rearaxle gearbox fuelsystem etc.

//niklas

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
"hi, thannx for responding, i am getting nervous nonone is reading the rhread with so few answers.
mayby it is my high tempo that is making people speechless??? :p"

I am certainly watching this project ..keep up the good work .

interesting to see the B23 or is it a B230 engine again , my old 240 managed 240k uk miles on its B230 without any major work ..just oil changes and cambelts !!!!

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
I dont have a clue, probobly not cheap :p

not very much to show pics of today sadly...

but in a few days i will have some new pics :)

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
in a few days, i will mount the wings an d hood and put it down on the floor. no one could ever guess whats it really is undernieth :)

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
brakes are complete and seems to work as they should.
fuel filled up in the fuekltank, and fuelpumps testedm, system is closely and fine,. tank will fit about 50-55 litres...

started to build electric systems, witch ofcourse is a very timeconsuming work

on thursday and friday i am of working with f1 cars again, but on saturday and sunday i will hopfullyy ghet much done, i am count to test start it on sunday or in the next week...

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
finaly engine is started :)

my friend filmed it so i will post on youtube as soon as possible. a lot of smal things to fix, but will probobly testdrive in a few days... :9

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
the rockearms actually dont sound that bad that my camera seems to make it.
the problem is that i will have to run the engine to 80-90C and lift engine out as fast as possible to be able to adjust rockearms before engine cools of to much :(

wont mind the noise from that for now, will need to drive the engine a few hours so the valveseats etc gets worn in before...

i will take the car in trafic at next weekend if i make it with the daschboard etc, also need to get the propellershaft balanced this week before testdrive...

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
i am thinking about buying one myself, but as you can understand, my money is well spent on other things LoL

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
i will paint the superS rearspoiler and mudflaps, then tinted windows. exept for that nothing.

i will put some stickers from the "sponsors" on the bodey, probobly white, and maybe also some "nismo" stickers to make the BMW crazy people a lite sad haha.

i think it will be great.

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
i love it soo much! i was really hoping you would dump the clutch in that video and spin the car a bit, i wanted to see some rear wheel drive action!

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
have been out testing a bit tonight, interiro is almost ready, seatbelts and a few other stuff left, daschboard ready.

testet driving a few hundred meters outside the garage an hour ago... the tourqe is incredible, it just wants to tear the tires of in 5th gear from 2500rpm...

boost without any boostcontrol attached from vipec yet is 0.7 bar. 0.7 bar is probobly around 500 hp, and it realy feels too much ... will probobly wait a few weeks to learn how to drive the car before increesing boost.

i need to get it mapped during the weekend, and also wash it up ... dust all over the car after a winter with a lot of weldning and grinding...

i promise to give you pictures and film in i few days...

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
sorry no pictures today, have been uot driving the car, its tuned to about 0.7 bar and 6500 rpm at the moment, wich makes it spin the wheels at any gear.
unfortenly fifth gear is now wasted, need new gearbox...

i will proobobly drive it a few days until i can find a new gearbox. i promose to show pictures during the weekend... it is almost finished now.
also need to change from 3.90 to 3.30 in the rearaxle.
at the moment the topspeed is only 219km/h ,... and that is way to little, i get rpm limit on 5ft gear in about 5-600meters :(

with 3.30 i topspeed will be 259 km/h but that is still to slow,will search for something like 3.15 for rearaxle, but 3.15 for volvo 240 is very hard to find, even here in sweden...

sorry no film on driving with higher gears, it was alredy dark when i finsisched the tuning, but as ypu can see. let the wheels go at 1st and 2nd gear is not much of a problem haha

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
thats what i wanted to see!! beautiful what a bad ass car!

can i ask, where is the rear axle from? have you mounted brakes on it or did it have brakes?

also how do you tell what the diff ratio is? i could check the local scrap yards around here

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
NeX WROTE:

"thats what i wanted to see!! beautiful what a bad ass car!<BR><BR>can i ask, where is the rear axle from? have you mounted brakes on it or did it have brakes?<BR><BR>also how do you tell what the diff ratio is? i could check the local scrap yards around here

it is a 240 Gl rearaxle, there should be a sticker in the rearaxle, but as you can understan, it is in 99% lost or unreadeble becouse of the winterusage... only way to know is to open it up and inspect.- ----

thank you for wanting to help, but since it is so rare you will probably never find one .....

Back