crazy Swedes micra, Rwd

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hello people , glad to finally found a good micraforum

im building a nissan at the moment.

i dont have time right now to write som much of it, i will post som pictreues and you can ask me and i will try to answer.
sorry for my english, it isnt really good...

the engine i will be using this first year is a bmw 3.5L 12valve , probbobly around maximum 650-700hp 900-1000nm. topspeed is planned 300+ km/h ofcourse...

next year if i dont crasch tha car and kill myself i am thinking to uppgrade to a 3.8 24valve instead. but for now my ecoomy dont allow me.

tha car is planned to be ready to drive in july.september this year, but i will have to se how much money i can spend every month. im buliding it from my own money and no sponsors whatsoever today sadly.

micrafre11.jpg

micrafrdigkapad.jpg

chassie2.jpg

bakdmpare4.jpg

lankarm2.jpg

framvagn2.jpg

motori1.jpg

motori2.jpg

rattstng3.jpg

kardan1.jpg

DP.jpg

dubblaWG1.jpg

avgastunnel1.jpg

CMF_rowstar

» CMF Member
Looks amazing!!

But remember that TOP GEAR episode where VW built a GTI for a motor show that had a detuned lambo engine?

it was basically undrivable....cos the wheel base was too short for a RWD with that power.
they couldn't get it to go around a corner without over steering and doing a 180 spin out.
...this will be interesting.

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
hi, glad to se so many responds over one night :)

i have always wanted a bmw z3 with turbo, (but i dont have the money for that),
i have a few friends that drives bmw 535 turbo, (but they cant do fast laps on track bacouse of the high weight..)
i got this engine almost free for 3-4 years ago but havent got any use of it..

a firend of me is machanik for a man that have around 10 used f1 cars for renting to rich people doing trackdays in Hungary, i will be able to get used f1 tires on 13" rims... (that is the reason for choosing golf GTI brakes in the front)
so traction shouldnt be a problem, in fact i have also bought a vipec injection that will help me use a form simple tractioncontrol...

i am doing al of the work myself.

the reason for buidling the exhasutmainfold this way is becouse it will work fine, this engine is only able to handle maximum 6700 rpm and 1.5 bar boost, more revs or boost will make rockerarms (dont know if it is the right word) brake and/or make the rods bend.
i will be driving it on ethanol/gasoline mixture (e85) it is 104 octane and mixture ratio 9.9:1 so the pistons will probobly not be a probleme..
i have been tuning a few almost identic engine before with Link engine management, ant the same turbo (holset hx55) and the same kind of maindfold, they have produced arond 700 hp 1000nm.
if the power shouldnt be enough the 24v 3.8 engine will fit in the same gearbox and enginge mounts, there is a few of those engines ruunnning with turbo here where i live, and they all delivver over 1000hp at the backwheels. this engine ui am using now is only temporary, it is not a "reel" race engine, but will deliver much tourq for very low cost

i dont know the engine weight, but i HOPE the car complete will be around 900 kilo, it is pretty much , but all the wight is very close to the grond and the engine is completly behind the front wheels so the wight balance in the car shold anyway be much better than if i hade used a fwd v6 engine or something like that...

the reason for using 2 wg is that it was a sale at the lokal speedshop, so 2 40m valves was the same price as one 60mm, as simple as that, and it also loooks much cooler right :)

the main problem today to get the car running before summer (we have almost 0.5 meter of snow that probobly wont disapear for a few months)
is that i cant get out the money i need to buy all parts, like fueldelivery, clutch , real racingseats/belts and so on..

but i promise to do all i can to make it happen... one other "problem" is the time, i have a normal job 7-16 every day, and family to. me girlfriend is pregnatnt and we have our 3d children in march...

today i plan to go to my work and build a 4" stainless muffler so i can finisch the exhaust during the next week.

i can agree that it is not so much left of the micra bodey. but this was the best way of doing it, i will need a stabil chassie to handle the power , and safte is also important, the plan is to have a micra that looks completly stock from the outside but will be able to reach a topspeed over 300km/h.
i will do a new interior ín black, use the orginal plastic as much as possible..

//niklas

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
i just took this picture of my "family car" outside.
my dream is to move to a much warmer conuntry when the kids are a bit older.

its not so cold outside today, only about -15 C ...

hope the summer comes early this year...

DSCF3270.jpg

i can show you a few wids on my older projects..

this is my old supra , 3.0 l comrpressor+turbo charged, lots of torq, arond 1000nm and 800 hp on the backwheels, at 3 (3!) bar boost. it was pretty sick , but the weight was almost 1600kg , way to much so i sold it to build this volvo last winter.
but it only has a 2.3 liter engine and not enough power, then i realized i needed a small car with bigger engine.

supra

http://www.youtube.com/user/knotannrkpg#p/a/f/1/eAFjPIJYWdc

volvo

my friends 535 turbo.

here is a pretty cool video on me and my supra trying to race at a streetrace against my friends 1200hp+ 3.8 m5 turbo. no traction what so ever, but the sound is amazing så pleeease turn the volume to max. LoL.

my friend testdriving one of the jordan cars after a few small repairs , hungary grand prix ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRFNzJithU

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
i will show you a small sideproject from today /friday night

starting with a stainles 100x5mm pipe, to thick to drill so many holes in, had to make it to a aprox 96x2mm pipe.

drill alot of holes.

fill up with some stainless steel "turnings" (dont know if its the right word)

my friend that was suppose to help me , found something much more important to do, (drinking beer)

thats how i do it,i would have saved a few hours buying a ready one, but whats the fun in that, and i also saves something like 100$ for something else.
now its of to the pub for more beer ,

ljudampare1.jpg

ljudampare2.jpg

ljudampare3.jpg

ljudampare4.jpg

ljudampare5.jpg

ljudampare6.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
no i will probobly never test it on 402m , i have never found it to be fun .

it will only be a car to play with in street and a few trackdays...

from the beginning it was supposed to nbe registreted as a "amaturebuilt street car".
but swedish laws says i can only have 15Kw /100kg .
so even if i take of the turbo for registration i would need to put in a few hundred kilos more, and with the higher weight, the brakes would need to be bigger , since i am going to use 13" rims that is not an option....

luckly i can still have it on the street with orginainal registration and insurance, if i get stopped in policecontrol i will only need to pay a fine about 150 AUD...

to registrate it as amaturebuilt costs about 2000 AUD, so even if i get stopped 4-5 times a year its still cheaper...

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
panhard is not fitted now, i will have to buld the frame for the watercooler in the back first.

I am 100% serious, the car is going to be streetcar. not 100% legal to drive on street but i dont really care,
all they (the police) can do is to give me a ticket, they dont have any rights to take the car or anything like that here in sweden...

tha brakes sholud be OK i will be using racing pads and steellines etc,...
maby i will have to change the rotors a few times a summer.
if they dont work i will mount used f1 carbonfiber rotors/pads instead...
, the engine provide much "enigebrake"...

oversteering can always be controlled with better tyres!!!

the brake head cylinder will be a std micra (it was the smallest choice)
i belive it will be enough, the backaxle is a volvo 240 axle, the brakes in the back is probobly top big so i have bought a wilwood brakevalve to make the back brakes less powerfull. i will also (if it fits to the small space inside the car) use hydraulic handbrake.
the 13" rims doesnt need so much brakes, if i was using bigger rims the brakes needed to be bigger becouse of bigger centrifugal force..

the wight distubution will be very cloce to 50/50 and about 30cm from the ground..,
i dont say it will be easy to drive and it is not a perfect build, but all that doesnt really matter on a street car, if i was going to use it for competition i wolud have had to build very diffrent..

it is not suppose to be driving as fast as an f1 car, but micra isnt really the best car to start with if i was going to build "the right way"

i started to build the car in september 2010,

i am hoping to testdrive it in july 2011 .

there is a very famous streetcar trackday in july , the goal is to drive it there and show it of...
you can se in the film here from last year hat kind of cars i will be racing. most of them are turboed/supercharged "street cars" around 600-900 hp cars

my biggest dream is to drive on the famous "nurburing" in Germany, but that will not be in 2011, maby 2012.

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"what will you do with the chassis? will it be a strengthened frame??<BR>was the bmw engine the first choice of engine?<BR>

the chassi is built using swedish racing rules.
the pipes etc used are regulated by swedish Racing Regulations.
not becouse i need it for driving it, but only to be sure they arem strong enough.

pipes for rollcage wischbones 4link etc.
42.2mmx3mm thicknes,seamless for chassies and rollcage.
28mm x3 for wishbones and 4 link.
boltsizes are all a little bigger than rules esys.
m16 for 4 link, m12 for wisdbones
(the rules says for dragracing cars m10 for wishbones and m14 for 4link, 25mmx3mm pipes)

pipe for seatsbelts is the only that are a little more 42x4mm seamless.

there is a few more pipes to weld in before it is rady, but it is almost ready in the pictures...

i use this engine becouse i had it allready, i got it from a friend a few years ago very cheap, but havent got any use for it earlyer.

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
sorry for not showing any new pictures latly, my 3year old brooke my camera,
i have changed directory for our homepage so all pictrures will soon be able to find at

http://www.projekteffekt.nu/media/?p=123

i promise to get some new pictures tomorrow, i have not been able to work as much as i wantde to with the micra last weeks, ive been busy with other projektts.
my volvo 360 got a new engine, the impreza got new clucth and as a side project i have helped up with a jordan F1 cosworth...

to proove to you i am not just home sleeping and drionking beer here is two films from last weeks work,
sorry you dont understand the language but anyway, it will kill some spare time for somone

//niklas

http://www.projekteffekt.nu/media/?p=399

http://www.projekteffekt.nu/media/?p=363

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
engine out.

porting of head have started, its not going to be very extreme, just a lite finishjob to make it flow a little better under the valves, also make a little less compression by taking away the squich...

filled up al the greasy and stinking engineparts in my impreza, taking it to work tomorrow to wash everyting with hot water cleaning.

Chairs and oilcooler have been delivered to.

stolar.jpg

kardantunnelklar.jpg

portning1.jpg

motordelar1.jpg

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
I really was hoping it was bgining to be springtime, it have been 5-7 C + all week and the snow melted away,
for a few days i could actually se the grass and feel the asphalt on the roads...

but then this, it have been around 3 C minus all day and the snow wont stop falling, so now its about 10 cm of snow again... it will probobly be snow for a month or so now :(

normolly it begins to be a little bit warmer in march or april, but i hope it gets warmer eariler this year.

the only good thing with the snow is that it isolates the roof so it gets a little warmer in the garage *lol*

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Seeing the progress of this thing come along so quickly and to such an extreme makes me really really excitedly nervous.

Like that one Christmas eve, I was 5yo and laying in bed trying to sleep, when just two days earlier I had caught a glimpse of all those brand new He-Man action figures laying on my parents bed.

Or that party at high school when that hot chick Lauren was dressed all skanky and drunk and lead me by the hand to the spare bed room...

I'm sitting here, like I was feeling back then, and can't wait for that thing to be pulled out and played with, but at the same time I'm anxious that the excitement will be too much, and it will break, or just won't perform as expected.

lol.

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
daily_ricer WROTE:

"Seeing the progress of this thing come along so quickly and to such an extreme makes me really really excitedly nervous.<BR><BR>Like that one Christmas eve, I was 5yo and laying in bed trying to sleep, when just two days earlier I had caught a glimpse of all those brand new He-Man action figures laying on my parents bed.<BR><BR>Or that party at high school when that hot chick Lauren was dressed all skanky and drunk and lead me by the hand to the spare bed room...<BR><BR>I'm sitting here, like I was feeling back then, and can't wait for that thing to be pulled out and played with, but at the same time I'm anxious that the excitement will be too much, and it will break, or just won't perform as expected.<BR><BR>lol.

LoL. that was the best comparison ive ever been told!!!!

if someone want please feel fre to add me on facbook or MSN , it is always fun top know new people with the same intrest!!
FB: niklas laine
MSN [email protected]
you can find my car in my fotos at FB

i dint get to much done today since it is friday.
i did clean up the engineblock , it was about 3 minus and snowing pretty much so i dindt to a really good job with it since i was freazing my as and fingers of standing outside with the pressure washer.

also i had time to glassblast the valves for the head, then i put them in the turner to take of some strange lumps that probobly had something with the manufacturing to do. then i polisched them mostly for fun...

atlast i had time to start with the intake mainfold/plenum, it willl not be perfect flow, but once agains this is not a race engine...

tvattatblock.jpg

ventiler.jpg

plenum1.jpg
[/quote]

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
clutch has finally arived, used nascar QM 7.25" with chevy 10 spline, it is the same splines as BMW getrag gearbox,!! perfect

quartermaster1.jpg

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
YOu have some amazing skills there mate. I cant begin to imagine the total cost if i were to pay for this to be done. Well done and keep up the work.

You could earn so much money in Australia doing fabrication like that. JESUS

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
yes itisnt cheap. it wouldnt be possible to build something like this without doing all of the work myself...
i do earn a little money doing c
ustomparts for people, bbut i try to dont take on to mane or biggger projects , my time is to important to spend on my own project if it will be ready befor summer....

in about two weeks im having my 3rd child so that will take upp much of the time, but on the other hand i will take about 3-4weeks of from my dayjob so i might be able to get some done anaway...

today i am off to get some motorjobs done.
i will get the engine block planed and mill a "edge" around the cylinders to put down "copperrings" that i have cut out in the waterjet at work,,..
also will mira cut the ventilseats

i dont know if you understand what i saying in my bad english, i will show you pictrues tomorrow hehe.

also the fualtank is we¨lded in aluminium, i will post pictrees of that too...

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
panhard fitted to the rearaxle.

crankshaft, rods and pistons fitted, unfortenly the camshaft was wornout so i am lookling for a better one,

frame in the back fitted to support the coolers, a little more sheetmettal/"mud flaps" will be fitted to protect coolers from wheels. and to strenghten the rear fram since panhard and future antirollbar will be bolted in that frame.

the fuelcell is testmounted, only need to weld brackets for mounting , fittings to fuelpumps and pipe from fuel cap

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
micratech WROTE:

"Great fun and a very cool build!

Thanks Micratech!! ,
fun to se somone from scandinavia also. are you visiting Gatebil?? i will probobly (hopfully) go to at least Gatebil Mantorp ,

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
of course, youre absolute welcome to stay for as long as you wamnrt, itsnot a to long trip LoL
I cant wait either.
today i am going to a big low-budget carpartstore and buy 3 pcs bosch fuelpumps and a few more stuf for the build...

CMF_micratech

» CMF Member
knotan WROTE:Thanks Micratech!! , <BR>fun to se somone from scandinavia also. are you visiting Gatebil?? i will probobly (hopfully) go to at least Gatebil Mantorp ,

Well, I have been attending the Gatebil Show for years, but the last two years I havent had the chance to find the time. But maybe this summer if i get the chance. Would be great fun to attend once again!

CMF_knotan

» CMF Member
wohoo!
today i was to the scrapyard to get some spareparts to one of my dailydrivers.

and when i got there i found a crasched micra superS
ofcourse i took of the mudflaps and spoiler for the tunk cover. i have actually never seen one of these cars in sweden before so i gues it must be imported from germany or something. perfect for me... :)

i also got a few things back from my friend that works at the cromefactory...

i must get my impreza ready for the spring now this week, change brakes and wheels and get some touching up with the paintwork that has been ruined by the roadsalt during the winter :(

but in the weekend hopefully i can get something done with the micra again

Back