turbo micra update

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
So..I went to get my rear seal replaced (labour+part free on warranty)

and while my gearbox was off:

1. Engine mounts need replacing. I knew this already anyway and will be ordering nismo mounts from perfectrun. We checked with a nissan dealer and the OEM mounts were $360.

2. Clutch is starting to go and the springs are really really loose. I've ordered a 190mm clutch and will have that installed for free..saves me having to pay for labour when the clutch finally goes.

3. Gearbox input bearing.. Mech's getting in touch with a gearbox place on Wednesday to find out how much the bearing is and approximate labour. - Not sure if its worth replacing yet. How much is a gearbox rebuild approximately anyone? I might just go get another 2nd hand one...A mate has one sitting in his backyard I should be able to pick up..Maybe just do that.

The gearbox place will strip and quote me thats all.

Maybe even get my old stuffed gearbox to them just so they can pull it apart and check out whats needed/costs involved. Save on some labour.

End rant.

Don't want to spend too much money before I head off to the Europe so will have to take it easy..

cisco

» CMF Member
Far out. Just sounds pretty much like the whole drivetrain has had a bit of extra load placed on it thesedays, plus overdue for a bit of maintenance etc.

Bad luck mate.

But will be awesome to get all this done. Will feel like a new crispy/responsive weapon I am certain.

Yeah just go hard and get it all done. Fire up.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
nismo engine mounts are brilliant. dont get them if you like a refined drive though, they shake the car, you can feel it in the steering wheel and are noisey. but because of that feedback and general stiffness is very good.

cisco

» CMF Member
I discovered the engine mount that bolts onto the front of the gearbox is stuffed today. Big tear/split right through it.

So I'll be needing a set too.

I am all for a refined/smooth ride, and as I have the B-Crews engine damper, I'll definately get factory ones. I wig out about anything rough/noisy/harsh etc.

Yoiks looks like factory ones are going to cost me a mint.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
OK Update.

I have yet *another* gearbox that I'm going to throw in.

I cleaned the crap out of it today and its nice and shiny now.

Will throw that into the car, as it can't be any worse than my current one with the input shaft bearing making funny noises.

I also got the a rear engine mount so which isn't split so get that in too and see what i'm gonna do with the other side split mount.

cisco

» CMF Member
Good on ya mate, that's all great news.

Quite strong progress and sounds like you've saved a HEAP of cash.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
if you want a new buffer rod/front gearbox mount, my mech got one from repco last year for $90 odd. Failing that just get the nismo one, because it dosn't actually hold any weight and only stops torque, i highly doubt you will have any harsh feel through the steering wheel. I have two nismo east/west mounts which basically hold all the weight and i noticed a tiny bit of roughness at cold start,

Alex

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the one that made my car vibrate and send shakes through the steering wheel was the one on the left side of the engine as you look into the bay with the bonnet up. if you have a standard steering wheel you might not feel it as its damped from the matarial, but i have a sports wheel. you might not hear the very loud noise it creates also if you have your interior and sound deadening still in the car. as mines all stripped out its like an echoey cave or something. the engine is running sweet but inside sounds and feels like a reving tank. great if you love the motorsport ambience.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
forgot to add, i can visibly see my hands vibrate on the steering wheel at different freqencies depending on throttle pedal position. thats how much the engine energy comes out through the mounts through the shell, up the steering column , through the wheel and into my vibro hands. gets the blood circulating i'm sure. feels good.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah!!!

Damn that's quick. Good on ya mate. Slam it in there.

Yeah Errol a bloody legend.

cisco

» CMF Member
Ah ha yeah good point mate.

Glad its back this arvo. Go and give it some!!!

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Hhhahah I only got it back tonight.

Oh well.

Anyway, NO MORE ****TY NOISES! such a good feeling..cisco i'm sure you know its like when you fix a rattle and you think how you put up with it for so long!

anyway. got the car back. the bigger clutch in. all very nice..i stalled it a few times because my friction point is actually where its supposed to be now..but yeah..also the 2nd hand non-split engine mounts dont make the car rock so much and it seems to not tramp either when putting power down.

good way to test your mounts is to roll in 1st or 2nd gear and just back off the throttle..see how much your car rocks around.

mine went from rocking the crap out of you in 2nd gear (at about 3-4k revs) to now being nice and smooth.

thank god thats over.

Attachments

• 15992.jpg
    15992.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 29

cisco

» CMF Member
Wooh! congrats mate. That's really good news. Well done.

Glad it feels great to drive once again.

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
Just regarding the engine mounts.

I had a problem finding a non genuine Nissan engine mount. Looked everywhere but all I had from feedback was that they only do auto mounts and not manual.

So I thought to myself that what would be the case if I purchased an auto mount and then pressed out that into my manaul mount?

Well the answer was that it worked. The car does not vibrate, no shuttering, no noise.

For the cost of an auto mount at $108 plust $30 to press I thought that was resonable.

You can buy the right side mount for $120 so all up it cost me around $260.

I know that you could and probably get it done cheaper but when your car is earning you an income you cant sit on the side lines for too long.

From the time that I ordered in the parts I was running again the next day.

Back