Condensation in 1995 K11 5 Door

Hi,
I haven't had any problems before, but this year, on damp mornings (not necessarily rainy ones), I find the whole windscreen is covered in condensation and the passenger footwell has a few mm of standing water when I open the car in the morning. On Sunday, I scraped all the frost off the outside of the windscreen and found that their was almost as much frost on the inside as outside.

Are there any common places I should check to find what is letting all the moisture in?

Is there a simple process I can go through to identify the cause of the problem, etc.?

Advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Had a mate who had the same problem and started using the de-icer on the inside of his car to clear the screen, i also had condensation inside my car a few days back but no sign of any leaks on the floor etc....

J

Finally sorted it. It was the clips that hold up the windscreen and the area around them. it was only a tiny gap that all the water was getting in through.

It basically goes through the seal and into the air inlet for the fan/blower, I think.

To dry the carpet, I first used a wet-vac to suck out most of the water. Then, I lifted up the carpet and pointed a hair-dryer into the cavity to create a hot air baloon out of the carpet. Didn't take long to dry. I think a fan heater may do a similar job.
Make sure the hot air is going into the centre of the cavity and not directly onto the carpet (or it will get too hot and burn) and do not leave unattended!

Finally sorted it. It was the clips that hold up the windscreen and the area around them. it was only a tiny gap that all the water was getting in through.

It basically goes through the seal and into the air inlet for the fan/blower, I think.

To dry the carpet, I first used a wet-vac to suck out most of the water. Then, I lifted up the carpet and pointed a hair-dryer into the cavity to create a hot air baloon out of the carpet. Didn't take long to dry. I think a fan heater may do a similar job.
Make sure the hot air is going into the centre of the cavity and not directly onto the carpet (or it will get too hot and burn) and do not leave unattended!
Got a pic of the leak area?

Sorry, no. First of all, I can't work out how to put up pic's, but I suspect I don't have the right membership. Also, I don't have relevant pic's. I tried taking some but even i can't make head or tail of them.

In any case, the water drips very slowly from just behind the glove box. Without some gymnastics or removing the seat (or an inspection camera), I could not see the source. I suspect you will have to remove the dash to trace the exact path.

As for where it gets in, again I am guessing it is in the 4 or 5 inch wide, raised section that looks like an air intake and is just behind the windscreen wiper motor.

What's for sure is that the place that the bit that needs sealing is the plastic bits underneath the scuttle panel. The rain cascades down the windscreen and very slowly drips into the car, but as we have plenty of rain in the UK, drops make oceans.

Hi,
I haven't had any problems before, but this year, on damp mornings (not necessarily rainy ones), I find the whole windscreen is covered in condensation and the passenger footwell has a few mm of standing water when I open the car in the morning. On Sunday, I scraped all the frost off the outside of the windscreen and found that their was almost as much frost on the inside as outside.

Are there any common places I should check to find what is letting all the moisture in?

Is there a simple process I can go through to identify the cause of the problem, etc.?

Advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
My guess is the sunroof seal degrading if you have a sunroof if not don't know

Back