Charge cooling?? Opinions and Advice

Baz

Ex. Club Member
I'm going down this route with the march to increase throttle response and shorten pipe runs. I just want to see what are people opinions on it and would people recommend anyone to buy a kit from??

Like the pipe run is very restrictive on it as I drove a standard car and felt alot more poke down low than mine. The run goes though the turbo at the front of the engine, down to the supercharger at the back of the engine,out the the front bumper where the fmic is and back up to the intake. Then over 4500rpm the bypass valve opens letting boost through from the turbo which shortens the run by about just over a metre that the boost has to trave to the inlet.

I've been looking at this site

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...=1034&osCsid=061b9948eaa4ba1f75026378fcaf0b45

I'm probably missing something...but which route?

water to air cooling or something else? lots of links on that page.

Sorry man changed the link there, Water to air cooler (the cooler would have to be a different configuration to that to fit I reckon)

We are building a skyline race car with a w2a cooler at the moment, 2 benefits in theory - more efficient than air to air and much shorter intake. In our case the w2a cooler is right next to the plenum so the intake becomes turbos, across the motor to cooler, to plenum in about 50cm. Also we are mounting the second radiator and pump in the boot for weight distribution.

no actual results yet we are in a long build for that car. many people use these in drag cars, even with ice instead of water to great effect, although there is a theory that it won't work too well in a track car once things heat up (heat soak/insufficient cooling capacity). I'm not convinced and am willing to give it a try.

sorry forgot to mention...the reason we are trying it is water temp problems.

the average skyline has huge intercooler, oil cooler then radiator leaving little cool air. here we can mount the 2nd radiator in another air flow (boot) and free up cool air to the radiator.

if you are looking for throttle response...I think you might be asking a lot from a 900cc 200hp motor....

sorry forgot to mention...the reason we are trying it is water temp problems.

the average skyline has huge intercooler, oil cooler then radiator leaving little cool air. here we can mount the 2nd radiator in another air flow (boot) and free up cool air to the radiator.

if you are looking for throttle response...I think you might be asking a lot from a 900cc 200hp motor....

Its not 200hp though? The throttle response between mine and a standard car is noticeable as in the standard car will pull away faster from the lights and I reckon I'd only catch it in second gear after all the wheel spin I experience in 1st. But the s/c kicks in instantly on the standard car and this is where my setup is losing out.The car useless for drag racing 1/20 runs I'd say you get a perfect launch.The standard car would be perfect everytime off the line

but yours has got a fmic and a bigger turbo aint it baz, which is going to make it laggy surely ?

But I've got lag on the s/c is what i'm saying whole the whole system pressurizes. I'm not talking about the turbo rev region at all frank.

sorry I'm not really disagreeing, and I also think the long inlet via a front mount introduces heaps of lag to throttle reponse. It's more than I don't have any ideas on how to fix it but still get decent cooling....the factory top mount cooler is a marginal solution and will never be enough for a track car

Back