advice

hiya guys, proud owner of a T reg inspiration for about a year now. Absolutely struck lucky finding it and have been in love with the car since!
much as I love the car, shes got a few problems and I wanted to get some one with better experiences opinions. A while ago I was driving behind a friend at about 60 mph. The car in front ran over a badger which (of course!) ended up under mine, ever since then the fuel gauge hasn't worked properly. The needle goes up but doesn't give an accurate reading, people have mentioned the possibility of it behind the fuel sendor. A friend who is an agricultural mechanic looked and it and cant see any reason why its not working and I don't really want to buy a new sendor just for it not to be the problem part
Second problem is mainly cosmetic, when I bought the car the paint on the front bumper had been scuffed (the car is silver with black panels across the front and back) The part which is scuffed is the black bar, seems to be only paint damage but I would really like to get both bumpers black fairly cheaply (university student)
thanks in advance!

when trying to brim the tank, the rubber tank breather pipe tends to kink n harden when old so even if the fuel pump nozzle clicks there's still some trapped air so the tank's not full hence gauge doesn't reach all the way to FULL. either the breather hose needs replacing/unkinked or just wait few secs as the airpocket vents and fuel level stabilizes and try pumping again.

if the fuel level sender is loose inside the tank or the resistance track is dirty, the gauge will get incorrect reading.

the gauge needle is viscous dampened and tends to stick when old.
to unstick, you remove the clear cover over the dials and twirl the fuel needle round several times till it spins loose, return it back to roughly where it was reading, turn IGN on and see if it reads properly.

to test the circuit to the gauge isn't faulty and the gauge is calibrated you could try unplugging the fuel level plug above the tank then short the fuel level sender circuit to simulate 0Ohm = Full tank, IGN on and the needle should rise to very FULL.

when i refuel it, it does click out really early and fuel sits in the bit where you put the pump if thats any help? literally sometimes it only lets me put 16 pound in when i know for a fact the tank is lower than that?

Back