CG13 with CG10 gearbox

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Has anyone ran a 1.3 (CG13) with a 1.0 (CG10) gear box?

I know the lower end will be quicker acceleration and i know that the top end is pants. Just an idea im considering :p

I've got the old 1.0 g/box and flywheel on my 1.3 engine just now...it is quite quick when the wheels aren't spinning! :p

the facelift 1.0 box is the same as all the 1.3,s hooded (RS5F31) but with a lower diff ratio (and the p/f 1.0 box is the lighter k10 derived one)

so the CG10 box is the same weight etc but with different ratios? Hmm...looks like i'll be looking out for a CG10 gearbox :p

so the CG10 box is the same weight etc but with different ratios? Hmm...looks like i'll be looking out for a CG10 gearbox :p

but the cg13 will be better because it will rev a little higher. you want to need as quick as 1.0. this is only good for pre 98

I dreaded driving my old K11 cos it was so slow....sounds like this will be a major restriction! Hm...still trying to think of ways to be quicker acceleration!

Quick question regarding Cams...do i have to do anything else if i fit cams? Or can i fit them and leave it? i.e no remap etc

I dreaded driving my old K11 cos it was so slow....sounds like this will be a major restriction! Hm...still trying to think of ways to be quicker acceleration!

Quick question regarding Cams...do i have to do anything else if i fit cams? Or can i fit them and leave it? i.e no remap etc

you,ll have better acceleration obviously, but you will be reving 3000 @ 65mph instead of 70mph or whatever
and what cams have you in mind ?

hooded get a lightened flywheel that will give you quicker accelaration heres a taster.

Attachments

• PICT0094.JPG
    PICT0094.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 829
I know this topic is like 10 months old but im now coming upto the point of doing this...

Question:

Are the drive shafts the same size? Is it a direct fit and no other parts needs replacing?

I know this topic is like 10 months old but im now coming upto the point of doing this...

Question:

Are the drive shafts the same size? Is it a direct fit and no other parts needs replacing?

yes hooded, pre-coilpack facelift g/boxes are direct fit :grinning:

Just checked and the CG10 gearbox i'm getting is pre 98. Need confirmation this will fit my '99 (non coil pack) engine before i buy it

A smaller diameter wheel and tyre combination will give you what is essentially a reduced final drive ratio - and better accelleration - up to the point you run out of revs, for when you want to play with accelerating fast - tall tyres for when you go on those long drives.

I might be making it up but mine feels quicker with the small tyres, and I'm certainly seem to be using more revs at motoway speeds. I haven't had the noticable drop in economy that I was expecting though. I suppose because although the engine is turning faster - its working less hard???

Popped down to H&S Performance today to get the gearbox,flywheel and clutch fitted. Finally got the gearbox off and sat it next to the new one,and noticed its completely different! I'll let the photos do the explaining: (top photos is my current gearbox,photo below will be of the new one)

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

IMG_9809.jpg

IMG_9808.jpg

Flywheel is nicely lightened:

IMG_9805.jpg

Checked the flywheel:

IMG_9812.jpg

Old Flywheel & New Clutch:

IMG_9813.jpg

New Flywheel & New Clutch:

IMG_9814.jpg

uh-oh! Clutch doesnt fit! You can see it doesnt line up and it over-laps the holes...seems like the new Flywheel needs a smaller clutch?!

IMG_9815.jpg

Tried it on the Old Gearbox:

IMG_9821.jpg

Fitted a treat! Tried it on the new gearbox:

IMG_9823.jpg

It just spins on the spline!

SO now i have a gearbox,flywheel AND clutch that are no good to me! The new flywheel seems to fit the new gearbox...but the clutch is wrong. But then again,the gearbox doesnt fit.

I wasnt a happy bunny....

K6PFS told me the gearbox came off a '99 as i didnt want the hassle of getting a pre-facelift and it wouldnt fit. Unless he gave me the wrong one as he had 2x CG10 boxes

Back