1.3 Cg10 !!!!!

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
just to let people know that it is possible to use a cg10 block and cg13 crank, rods, pistons and cams.
i have done this to my 1.0 si as i was bored with it's lack of power compared to the wife's 1.3 si, and also the 1.3 was better on fuel on longer runs (i do 60 miles a day to work and back).
it would've been alot easier to just fit the cg13 engine into my car, but i wanted to re-con it anyway, so, as i was stripping it down i thought i'd strip the cg10 down aswell just to see if it would work with 1.3 bits.
now it's run in a bit and has the janspeed manifold, s/s cat back system, lighter flywheel and crank pulley from the cg10, it's a fair bit faster than the standard 1.3 aswell.
it is a costly job though needing a cg13 donar engine, 1.3 box and driveshafts (they're a bit stronger), full engine gasket set £65, crank bearings £65 (from nissan), and other misc items like engine oil, filter, gearbox oil, coolant, decent tools etc.
(see you soon richmicratwista. lol )

So you used CG13 pistons and rods in the rebuild?

It seems like you just built yourself a CG13 to me. Its probably faster than the wife's because its newer.

Tis not because its newer! We all should know by now that the 1.0 cam pulleys, pistons, flywheel are lighter than the 1.3! (if you dont then you should now). But one question, are the clutches the same size? My 1.0 clutch is pants, it slips after a good thrashingly long journey!

Wrenchable said:
Tis not because its newer! We all should know by now that the 1.0 cam pulleys, pistons, flywheel are lighter than the 1.3! (if you dont then you should now). But one question, are the clutches the same size? My 1.0 clutch is pants, it slips after a good thrashingly long journey!

He has mentioned that he has used the 1.3L cams, pistons and rods and has bored out a 1.0L block to fit them. The only things making his cross-bred CG quicker than the other one are the lighter fly/pulley and the fact that it is newer and certainly in better condition! Lighter flywheels and pulleys don't MAKE power. Because they have less inertia they really allow the the power to get to the ground quicker.

Not saying its not a damn good effort though. I need to get my hands on a 1.0L crank pulley. lol

Wrenchable said:
But one question, are the clutches the same size? My 1.0 clutch is pants, it slips after a good thrashingly long journey!
facelift cg10's use the same 180mm clutch as the cg13.

Yom said:
and has bored out a 1.0L block to fit them.
i never mentioned anything about boring out the block. the bore is the same on both cg10 and cg13, the only difference is the longer stroke on the cg13.

it's mainly the manifold and cat back that make it quicker really. but the lighter bit will help it go faster. like you said, it help to get the power down quicker/allows the engine to rev up faster.

Ah k. I thought it said that you bored somewhere. Oh well. :p

Did you rehone the bores or were they OK? What milage was on the motor when you rebuilt it? Any noticeable wear or problems developing with the original motor?

Yom said:

Did you rehone the bores or were they OK? What milage was on the motor when you rebuilt it? Any noticeable wear or problems developing with the original motor?
i was planning to hone the cylinders and get new rings aswell, but both the engines didn't seem too bad for wear. and like a naughty boy, i used the old rings from the 1.3. the cg10 had done 72,000miles and i'm not sure about the cg13.

Yom said:

He said he was bored (nothing to do :p) not that he was going to bore it :) rofl

no you havent phill :p the rods have nothing to do with the CC just the bore (pistons) and the stroke (crank) the only difference in ours is the 1.3 crank has more stroke than the 1.0 so it needs shorter conrods.. if you put the 1.3 rods in a 1.0 you would lower the compresion but without working it out it could drop it to silly levels ie wont start. also i was talking to silver si last night the 1.3 pistons are dished the 1.0 are flat toped he was going to measure the two and see if you can use the 1.0 pistons in the 1.3 and raise the comp slightly..

Raceworx said:
no you havent phill :p the rods have nothing to do with the CC just the bore (pistons) and the stroke (crank) the only difference in ours is the 1.3 crank has more stroke than the 1.0 so it needs shorter conrods.. if you put the 1.3 rods in a 1.0 you would lower the compresion but without working it out it could drop it to silly levels ie wont start. also i was talking to silver si last night the 1.3 pistons are dished the 1.0 are flat toped he was going to measure the two and see if you can use the 1.0 pistons in the 1.3 and raise the comp slightly..

yes you can :p

Ian said:
yes you can :p
that's correct. me and richmicratwista measured both the 1.0 and 1.3 pistons and they are identicle in size, just different on the top (flat and dished). so next plan is to try the 1.0 pistons with the same set up as in original post.

Back