carbon canister

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Removing my carbon canister, I'm left with 3 hoses from the top and a big one from the bottom. Right in thinking just block them all off?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

the big one is the vent from the tank iirc, and the ones to the plastic valve on the head can be left (i smash the plastic bit off mine) the little t/b one is just light vacuum because its above the butterfly (but probably best to block it anyway)

ok after a quick search I've blocked up a hose which I think is right?

Here's what I've got/done: (Excuse the large photos)

These two, I blocked the smaller one:
IMG_20120927_153337.jpg

This one I imagine is the fuel tank:
IMG_20120927_153417.jpg

And this one which goes towards passenger wheel area??
IMG_20120927_153348.jpg

IMG_20120927_153403.jpg

Cheers Frank. Didn't get to see this before I went to work so had to quickly plumb it back in. I plumbed two hoses backwards and wondered why the car wouldn't run...

Sorted that and managed to push it and zip tie it much lower out of the way so might not need to remove it after all.

the big one is the vent from the tank iirc, and the ones to the plastic valve on the head can be left (i smash the plastic bit off mine) the little t/b one is just light vacuum because its above the butterfly (but probably best to block it anyway)
I presume the big one is the route the recaptured fuel would take back to the tank, rather than a vent. It still has to be best to block otherwise fuel vapour from the tank will be constantly leaking from it eh? The piece that goes to the inner arch has to be simply an exhaust pipe for the canister and can be totally removed.

Get that waxstat mech off skymera... the green spring thing.
Is that your cai down to the underside?

I presume the big one is the route the recaptured fuel would take back to the tank, rather than a vent. It still has to be best to block otherwise fuel vapour from the tank will be constantly leaking from it eh? The piece that goes to the inner arch has to be simply an exhaust pipe for the canister and can be totally removed.

nah, the carbon canister does,nt store any fuel, just vapours, the fuel delivery and return are separate pipes

Thought about it, seems a lot of hassle for what it's worth. The car runs and idles fine so I've no need to remove it just yet. And yeah that's my CAI just dangles down near the gearbox to get sweet, beautiful, clean air.

nah, the carbon canister does,nt store any fuel, just vapours, the fuel delivery and return are separate pipes
Vapours yeah, don't they kinda condense or someting and run back to the tank along that pipe then? Otherwise why would it be connected to the tank?

Otherwise why would it be connected to the tank?
how else would it collect the tank vapours ? :)
quote from wiki

Evaporative emissions are the result of gasoline vapors escaping from the vehicle's fuel system. Since 1971, all U.S. vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere; mandates for systems of this type appeared contemporaneously in other jurisdictions. In a typical system, vapors from the fuel tank and carburetor bowl vent (on carbureted vehicles) are ducted to canisters containing activated carbon. The vapors are adsorbed within the canister, and during certain engine operational modes fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling the vapor into the engine, where it burns.

Ah, so it processes fuel tank vapour does it? As I said deffo block that one, don't want the pound notes escaping out the end of it! I wonder how much we lose at the fuel station while filling?

out of interest why do you want to remove it?

i did this to make the p11 airbox fit

110320121662.jpg

I tried for around half hour, rotating it made the bottom hit the brake lines and the hoses didn't seem long enough, I could get a 45degree angle at most. Tbh it looked as if it's been out or moved before and plumbed back in with hoses wrapped around each other.
I relocated it instead.

i think that vapour return pipe is also the fuel tanks sort of breather?

cos the tank is a fully sealed up system, as you use up the fuel the missing volume of fluid has to be replaced by the same amount of say air via that return breather pipe.

if that breather pipe was blocked off, as the fuel level goes down it'll create a vacuum inside the tank and could make the tank slowly implode until you open the fuel cap and the mass of outside air rushes in to replace the vacuum.

i think that vapour return pipe is also the fuel tanks sort of breather?

cos the tank is a fully sealed up system, as you use up the fuel the missing volume of fluid has to be replaced by the same amount of say air via that return breather pipe.

if that breather pipe was blocked off, as the fuel level goes down it'll create a vacuum inside the tank and could make the tank slowly implode until you open the fuel cap and the mass of outside air rushes in to replace the vacuum.

Thats why i kept it instead of bining it, i often let my fuel get real low before i put any in, i thought if i block the vent then the suction would make the cap near impossible to take off, and i didnt want to leve it open to vent into the engine bay, so i just moved it lol

Off topic but isn't it strange how there are a couple of different throttle return spring arrangements on different TB's? Mine's a double spring jobbie with a nylon washer clearly visible in the middle, the one above looks like it's much busier with more coils. hmmm

Off topic but isn't it strange how there are a couple of different throttle return spring arrangements on different TB's? Mine's a double spring jobbie with a nylon washer clearly visible in the middle, the one above looks like it's much busier with more coils. hmmm

hehe odd one that. i notice you have also disabled the waxstat feature :D

on tank vacuume, i dont know, i just worked on theory. But science is not always exact :D

EDIT thought i would mention mine is a facelift, they must have changed some bits on the TB, i wonder why

Back