Car spraying

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
I've got some big scratches in my car

(hey i was always disliked for having nice stuff :( )

So my car was keyed last year, day i passed my test...

Now i've got scratches in lots of places and i want to colour code my car...

Just wondering advise i need... I've read how to do it, alot, and it seems quite easy.

Now I'm going to go for a proper job, with removing, cleaning, sanding, spraying, topping.

Using a air powered gun (yay!)

Advise, Do's, Don'ts?

(Going to grab some stuff from a scrappy prior to trying this!)

I presume my garage will be ok? Once i've cleaned the stuff out?

I think it's a little chilly to be painting.

My neighbours car got keyed so he keyed mine just in case it was me that did it so I also need to spray so I'm looking for tips myself.

All I know is when you spray don't arc the gun, keep the same distance from the panel at all times.

Well, im thinking i can get the temperature in the garage up high enough.

It will also help with drying time :)

its all in the prep!, i'm not the best person to ask when it comes to bodywork but i know that much. also make sure you sand between layers with 2000 wet n dry or else you get the dreaded orange peel.

Sand down working from 600 to 1600 grit glass paper. (it's glass, not sand ;) ).

wash down, dry, Using air compressor to make sure it's completely dry.

Spray a thin layer of primer. sand using 2000grit. Spray, sand, Spray, Sand, Spray sand, Apply a thin layer of paint, sand 2000 grit, Apply thicker layer, sand if needed, spray final thin layer, spray 3-4 layers of lacquer.

I think that's right as i under stood it :D

ah fair enough :p

I swear it was glass ... Ah well :D

I might colour code my door handles at the weekend...

for giggles :)

Good idea, I need to colour code my bumpers, handles, roof strips, side strips, brake calipers...... I might just drive the car into a pot of paint.

They are about 90 percent filler now so I just want to get some shiney new ones on them and save a load of trouble.

my dads getting me a full compressor/air tools set for my birthday (only 2 months late i suppose) but in the spring i shall be re-painting my car in white.....with no decals.... no more "nismo" stuff..

my dads getting me a full compressor/air tools set for my birthday (only 2 months late i suppose) but in the spring i shall be re-painting my car in white.....with no decals.... no more "nismo" stuff..

ive sprayed only small items (splitters and sideskirts) which imo for first attempts where really good!!!! no lumps, paint runs etc!!!! only difficulty was making them "shiny", but after some practice i found how do get s slight shine lol!!!

igloo your right in getting spares from a scrap yard to practice on! makes sense to me!!!

Ant: what!!!!!! your going white!!!!! no more decals at all???

in my spraying experience ive found that anything finer than 1200 or 1600 wet n dry can make the surface too smooth so sometimes the paint wont stick.

doesnt always happen

My neighbours car got keyed so he keyed mine just in case it was me that did it so I also need to spray so I'm looking for tips myself.

Are you being serious there because just hearing that made me so mad that i punched the desk, i tend to be a little bad tempered, but i can't stand people like that GRRR, even if its not me that it happened to!

I think that 1600 grade would definately be overkill, yes you need a good smooth finish, but as long as its uniform and pretty smooth i can't see you having massive problems, you should be able to get new seccond hand doors from a scrapyard, or if someones breaking one on ebay.

I've sprayed my whole car with matt black primer, and i used all cans
1 section a week it looks just fine but its staying that color so i can
just top it up i guess you cant, and if your wondering why i sprayed
it matt black, its cos i have loads of people that hate me cos i stole
there mates girl and they all key my car, so its easyier to spray.

Are you being serious there because just hearing that made me so mad that i punched the desk, i tend to be a little bad tempered, but i can't stand people like that GRRR, even if its not me that it happened to!

yeah I get that all the time, flat tyres etc. Only started happening when new neighbours moved in so I know who it is. Thing is they're nice to my face and I haven't done anythin to upset them. Some people are just born *******'s

yeah I get that all the time, flat tyres etc. Only started happening when new neighbours moved in so I know who it is. Thing is they're nice to my face and I haven't done anythin to upset them. Some people are just born *******'s
I think you need to give them an old school 'talking to'.. lol.

Back