Car Gradually Loses Speed

I have had my Micra now for about 6 months. Wasn't running brilliantly to start with but fitting correct spark plugs and new fuel and air filters improved it. After some reading on this web page I checked the ODB2 and changed the lambda sensor. Exhaust doesn't stink of petrol, fuel consumption has halved and the loss of power has almost disappeared completely.
Now I have another problem. Occasionaly when driving on the motorway in fifth gear, on the level, the speed slowly drops. If I drop a gear and floor it the speed comes back up again and if above 65mph I can change back up and it's fine after that.
I have occasionaly had the smell of hot brakes/slipping clutch but only about town, not on the motorway. The wheels are not hot so it's unlikely it is binding brakes and if it was the clutch I would expect the engine to rev and nothing (much) to happen. Also no sound from the clutch of it being in distress.
Any suggestions welcome.
The Micra is great wee car, reminds me of the minis I started driving in. You can throw around just like them.

I thought about that particularly as I have changed the lambda sensor (which cleared the sudden power loss and rough running). From my reading if the MAF was faulty it's unlikley it would show on the OBD2, so I thought I would leave it till the next MOT in a couple of months. Would show up as a a fail on the exhaust test.
Have been using the car up and down the motorway this week and the problem occurred once. However I now have an intermitant thrumming sound which, by dabbing the breaks I can make go away. Wheel hubs still not hot to the touch so I can only conclude the fault is intermittent.
It seems likely the cause of the problem is the brakes partially binding at times so I'll check them out this week.
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Back