Another Micra that loses power randomly

CMF_playasyougo

» CMF Member
Hi,

I'm from the UK and recently bought a 1998 Micra GX 1.0litre to run about in during the winter time.

The owner I bought it off complained that it kept losing power and he changed the following, fuel filter, spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. However, the problem persisted.

I took the car off his hands and tried two separate throttle bodies and two separate distributors but nothing changes. I've also tried to re-solder the connections in the MAF without success.

All the connections and terminals appear to be in good condition with no signs of corrosion and there is no check light showing.

I'm at a bit of a loss now so looking for some help if anyone can.

Thanks in advance.

David

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
If you have eliminated spark, then your onto a fuel issue, unless it's something like the O2 sensor, not sure what a failed one of those does on a Micra.

But, maybe look at the fuel pump, you can pick one of those up off ebay for $70Au.

CMF_playasyougo

» CMF Member
It's a manual and it has a new fuel filter.

I was going to look at the Cat next.

Bought the car for £180 so no aftermarket ECU's and pumps for this thing.

The first throttle body i fitted made the car run fine for half a day so it was looking good.

Where is the pump on one of these? Intank under rear seats?

CMF_playasyougo

» CMF Member
Hi,

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED

Finally got round to working on the car more. It had been sitting doing nothing for this long.

I took the fuel return line off the fuel rail and put it into a jug. I measured how much fuel it filled the jug up with in 60 seconds and it was only 1/2 litre so something not right there. Should have been about 1 litre.

Went to scrap yard for a fuel pump out another Micra and swapped. Now the car runs perfect.

David

CMF_MarchK11

» CMF Member
Hi,

Mine has the same problem, it hasn't the same power as before and has the check engine on. I run the computer diagnostic and it says it is the coolant sensor, I replaced it and the check is still on, but has gain some power sometimes, but it looses the power sometimes too.
It has poor Mpg too :( approx 24 - 26 mpg, when it should do at least 40!.

Had anyone an issue like this?

Back