cam chain

Alfonze

Ex. Club Member
Well Ive determinded where the rattling is coming from. The cam chain. is it posible to get it tightend and how much roughly. my mate said that the cams would burst though the bonnet if the chain breaks.

Your mate's talking cack, all that would happen if the chain snapped would be a large amount of valve and possibly piston damage depending on engine speed when it goes, how many miles has the engine done ?

Mines done 110000 on the original chain, it started to get noisy 10000 miles ago, I'll think about changing it next summer maybe, does your camchain make the car sound like a diesel engine, if not then there's no immediate worries.

my super s top chain was noisy at 100000mls, one of the pins had worn thro the plate and there was 1/2 of a mm of metal left :eek:
the bottom chain was still ok at 130000mls

Scary stuff, when the camchain finally packed in on my old bike it snapped 5 of the 6 plates and 50% snapped the final 6th plate, it caught on the edge of the tunnel and stalled the engine at tickover, lucky lucky lucky, no engine damage.

if the chain does snap, it will be a full engine re-build.... the cam chain rattle iirc is a common fault with the micra. there people with m-reg micras and older i.e sonics march....and theres have lasted!

nothing to worry about.

Attachments

• PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 250
mine went, and didnt do any damage, and i was at about 4000rpm when mine wnet on a downshift/.

but a new chain (and about 4 diff tensioners) later and up up and away, a 110,000 mile engine with silent chains..haha

alfonze

plugcaps off and about 10 crosshead screws
take a pic, then roll the car backwards in 4th gear (to slacken the chain tensioner off) then take another pic

I dont own a chisel and Im seriously considering selling the car and hope they dont notice. after taking the alloys off of course

i have 4 options

sell the car
scrap the car
get the work done
or buy my auntys newer micra off her

Really dont know what to do

I think my auntys car is a 1.0 W facelift I guess. It be down grading from what I have being a 1.3 prefacelift

Back