Broken Cam chain... now, options?

S

Stevo11

Howdy,

Took cam cover off the engine today, cam chain is broken. Whats the likelyhood of the valves being ok? Is there an easy way to check them?

Alternatively, whats the options in regards to "drop in" used engines? Will a 1.2 drop in without mods? I just want to widen the search parameters ;-)
Oh... also, if I were to get a used engine, is it a driveway job? Possible to lift out engine without a crane when its stripped down and gearbox disconnected?

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Steve

how fast were you going when the chain snapped ? the chances are that there will be bent valves in there and possibly piston damage. The only way to really check them is to remove the head.

Its safe to assume regarless of speed that valves will be bent. 1.2 isnt and option - they dont make one 1.3 is and its quite an easy upgrade.

Ed

how fast were you going when the chain snapped ? the chances are that there will be bent valves in there and possibly piston damage. The only way to really check them is to remove the head.

Not very fast.. say 20mph and coasting(!) ... no noise, no bang..

Its safe to assume regarless of speed that valves will be bent. 1.2 isnt and option - they dont make one 1.3 is and its quite an easy upgrade.

Ed

hmmm.. yeah.. thats what I was hoping I wouldn't hear ;-)
So, the 1.3 ... apart from the engine itself.. would I need ECU?

i guess it's advisable and quicker to crane the engine out for a swap rather than disassemble every bit & lugging the block out (unless ur chuck norris lol)

hmmm... will prob stick with the 1lt ;-) Just want to get it on the road again ASAP...

So.. re lifting out engine, will I need a crane?

it's possible to lift the engine out with two people, just remove the top rad support and rad, then you don't have to lift it as far. but i had taken the box out first, it makes it much easier.

We removed it with no crane, dropped onto MDF and then few people to lift the car up whilst the engine was slid out from under it

Great! Thanks for the replies! Didn't think it looked too heavy.

I don't suppose there is "how to" on removing the engine is there? Or is it straight forward enough? If not, I'll take pics and do a write up when I do it (giving a bit back and all that ;-) ),

Back